Question for forum administrators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for forum administrators

Is it possible to block a poster similar to how it can be done in Facebook?

Not an administrator in the least, but on similar forums the following works to make posts of users whose posts you don't value not be visible. It works well in another forum I use but I do not know if the administrators need to enable something here. You might try it while awaiting a response:
    1. Copy the name of the user into your Cut/Paste buffer (optional).
    2. Click on the down arrow near your login name in the upper right of the page.
    3. Select "My Profile" from the list.
    4. Click on the "ACCOUNT" tab in the "User Settings" page that appears.
    5. Scroll down and enter the user names of those whose posts you find bothersome in the "Ignore List" at the bottom of the page (or paste what you copied in step 1).
    This is 100% undo-able, so if you see something you want to see you can remove the user from the list and all of that user's posts will again be visible.
    Last edited by dtlee; 02-20-2021, 08:08 AM.
    Doug

Comment

Thank you Doug! That is going to make the forum much more pleasant!

Comment

If you don't like someones comments or tone just ignore it! No different than people you meet in person that you don't care about!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
          If you don't like someones comments or tone just ignore it! No different than people you meet in person that you don't care about!
          I plain just ignored the entire forum for weeks long stretches in the off season because of a toxic person or two. I've noticed a lot less activity from other long term users, and wondering if it may be for the same reason.

Comment

I'm sorry, I'll keep my mouth shut.....
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
              I'm sorry, I'll keep my mouth shut.....
              It's not you, and I owe you an apology. I'm sorry. I snapped at you unjustly recently when I was having a terrible day.

Comment

Whew! I reread my post back then and it was rude OF ME for a poster with your knowledge. I'll never make that error again.....
                Last edited by BOB W; 02-20-2021, 01:17 PM.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post

I plain just ignored the entire forum for weeks long stretches in the off season because of a toxic person or two. I've noticed a lot less activity from other long term users, and wondering if it may be for the same reason.
                  Kathy - hang in there - I missed your posts. A thought for you from my days in learning some Latin. LOL

Non illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Who decides what is acceptable ? I dont think it would do the forum any good to start "selectively" removing posts. Dont turn into Twitter or Facebook. Now if someone verbally attacks another, well thats fine. But "who" decides what is an attack ? Some people are blunt in their replies and I for one appreciate that. You should not remove posts another member deems unfit just because they dont like what they posted. Or they dont like that person. People are different and our "emotional" tolerances vary. Just keep that in mind. But dont just "willy nilly" remove posts the "postmaster" (pun intended) deems unfit. Cancel Culture is way out of hand. Now let the attacks on me commence.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post
                      Who decides what is acceptable ? I dont think it would do the forum any good to start "selectively" removing posts. Dont turn into Twitter or Facebook. Now if someone verbally attacks another, well thats fine. But "who" decides what is an attack ? Some people are blunt in their replies and I for one appreciate that. You should not remove posts another member deems unfit just because they dont like what they posted. Or they dont like that person. People are different and our "emotional" tolerances vary. Just keep that in mind. But dont just "willy nilly" remove posts the "postmaster" (pun intended) deems unfit. Cancel Culture is way out of hand. Now let the attacks on me commence.
                      Who said anything about removing posts? I asked if there was a way to not have the posts for a person or two not show on my screen.

Comment

Who said anything about removing posts? I asked if there was a way to not have the posts for a person or two not show on my screen.
                        Well then, there should be an option as described in post 2. That way "you" can remove posters from your viewing. But I dont think its possible here. Could be wrong. Have a great weekend Kathy. Also did you get the Proseries teachers expense deduction to start working properly ?

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post

Excellent. Well written reply post. Reminds one of the expression “people who live in glass houses should not throw stones”.

Yes, as described in reply post #2, one can “block” poster(s) from one’s view. It will block the Poster(s) both Original and Reply posts. Setting is in your Account called Ignore list at the bottom.
                          Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-20-2021, 12:39 PM.
                          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Unfortunately, the only way the ignore works is to remain logged in at all times. This forum is no longer going to be on my check daily list....

Comment

Unfortunately, the only way the ignore works is to remain logged in at all times. This forum is no longer going to be on my check daily list....
                              Sorry.

Didn't think of that. I do normally stay logged in. It may be a reason for you to want to do so. Even if they had a "block" poster command, it would need you to stay logged in.
                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X