IRS Business Rule R0000-223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Business Rule R0000-223

Anyone know the secret for finding Business Rules on the IRS website? I'm looking for the January Business Rule R0000-223 but search function does not come up with any results.

This rule pertains to efile PIN signature requirements for entities, 990, 1120 and 1065. The IRS now wants a social security number for the responsible party that signed the return. TheIRS says they won't reject a return that doesn't have it...yet, but may require it some day. My 990 clients are all volunteers on the Boards of their respective tax exempt entity and are balking at the idea of sharing their personal SSN.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

I tested a 990-N out the other day. You don't get e-file clearance (red x) until the SSN is entered.
    If IRS says they won't reject a return that doesn't have it - why does Drake force you to get it?
    The Soc Sec number does not get shown on the tax return printout.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
      Anyone know the secret for finding Business Rules on the IRS website? I'm looking for the January Business Rule R0000-223 but search function does not come up with any results.

This rule pertains to efile PIN signature requirements for entities, 990, 1120 and 1065. The IRS now wants a social security number for the responsible party that signed the return. TheIRS says they won't reject a return that doesn't have it...yet, but may require it some day. My 990 clients are all volunteers on the Boards of their respective tax exempt entity and are balking at the idea of sharing their personal SSN.
      Sharing their SSN with you (a professional tax preparer) and the IRS?? Give me a break.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
        Sharing their SSN with you (a professional tax preparer) and the IRS?? Give me a break.Chris
        I agree. They have already shared their SSN with every bank they have an account with, with their state DMV, with every employer they have ever worked for, with their health insurance, etc etc. What's the big deal, especially since it won't be publicly divulged?

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
          I tested a 990-N out the other day. You don't get e-file clearance (red x) until the SSN is entered.
          If IRS says they won't reject a return that doesn't have it - why does Drake force you to get it?
          The Soc Sec number does not get shown on the tax return printout.
          I had a discussion with Drake and it was their idea to make it mandatory for now, however, due to the numerous complaints about it they are walking it back until such time as the IRS requires it. Should have an update to the software today.
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X