State registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State registration

Would like to know which states require tax preparer registration to allow e-filing of tax returns. For example, NY requires $100 registration fee and education credits before any return is accepted by NY. Practice does not even need to be in NY (Im in NJ).

EAs and CPAs are exempt from NY's registration. Are you asking about unenrolled preparers? In general: CA, MD, NY, and OR were first and most regulated, but add CT, IL, NV, and maybe more to some degree. And, at least 20 states regulate preparers who offer refund products.
    Last edited by Lion; 02-02-2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

The last I heard in most states there was an amount of returns filed in the state that would trigger registration requirement. Not sure what states but could be all of them...
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

NYS

Commercial tax return preparer means a tax return preparer who: 7 Publication 58 (1/15) • prepared ten or more returns for compensation in the preceding calendar year, and will prepare at least one return for compensation during the current calendar year; or • prepared fewer than ten returns for compensation in the preceding calendar year, but will prepare ten or more returns for compensation during the current calendar year. Commercial tax return preparation business means an entity that employs individuals who prepare tax returns and that meets the thresholds set in the definition of a commercial tax return preparer above.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
        X