Business Expense - Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Expense - Painting

Painting the interior walls/woodwork/etc for a business. . . are you depreciating it over 7 years?

I sometimes flip to TTB 9-12, and I check the chart there as a guide, if that's any help in your case.

Comment

Isn't 7 for furniture?

Comment

Sounds like a maintenance expense to me. But I've been charged with not considering all and every angle of a situation before...
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I agree with Bob ... based on the limited information the OP provided, I would not depreciate it. I would deduct it as a Repair or Maintenance.

Comment

I seem to recall if the painting is not associated with improvement to the property, then it can be a deductible expense. OP will need to find out if new walls or woodwork were installed.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
              I seem to recall if the painting is not associated with improvement to the property, then it can be a deductible expense. OP will need to find out if new walls or woodwork were installed.
              You are correct, painting on NEW construction, dry wall or wood, become part of the construction cost. This same rule applies, in NY, for sales tax. OP did not specify.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
              X