Preparing a 1041

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing a 1041

Haven't prepared a 1041 before but have a rather simple one & thought I'd handle it for the customer's personal rep.
    Single elderly customer died with mutual fund TOD accounts. Small estate - no estate tax involved.
    A few days after his death, his mutual funds paid about $ 2,000 in dividends into his account.
    The mutual funds tell me they will issue 1099-DIV's for all dividends for the year to his SSN.
    As I understand this :
    - the estate needs to get a tax I.D. #.
    - the above $2K in estate dividends are removed from the others on his final 1040 schedule "B" (by nominee to his estate)
    - a 1041 is filed & K-1 forms are issued to his TOD benes for the dividends received by the estate.
    Am I missing any procedures, or forms to file ?
    Thanks much for comments.

Suggest referencing The TaxBook starting 21-1 - forms and information
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

This is considered Income in Respect of a Decedent, and is reported on Form 1041 as you described. There should be deductions for administrative purposes, including preparing the tax return, etc, so the amounts taxable to the bene's on the K-1's will be determined via DNI calculation on Page 2. You can also elect a fiscal year to include all expenses to termination, which may be beneficial to them.
      Last edited by Burke; 01-23-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X