IP PIN Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP PIN Question

To get an IP PIN for a dependent, it appears a separate account is required and they must be able to verify their identity. But the first step in the identity process is to provide one of the following pieces of information on either a mortgage, credit card (not AMEX), student loan, HELOC, or auto loan. For those dependents that are minors, they won't have any of these types of credit. So, how can a dependent acquire an IP PIN without this kind of info? The FAQs don't address this issue other than to say that dependents are eligible for an IP PIN but only if they can verify their identities.

Originally posted by deserttax View Post
    To get an IP PIN for a dependent, it appears a separate account is required and they must be able to verify their identity. But the first step in the identity process is to provide one of the following pieces of information on either a mortgage, credit card (not AMEX), student loan, HELOC, or auto loan. For those dependents that are minors, they won't have any of these types of credit. So, how can a dependent acquire an IP PIN without this kind of info? The FAQs don't address this issue other than to say that dependents are eligible for an IP PIN but only if they can verify their identities.
    I haven't try to get one yet. Can they file the paper form Form 15227 and get one?

Comment

There is an IRS IP-PIN specialized unit phone no - 800-908-4490
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

If you file the paper form, you will be mailed an IP PIN for NEXT year, not this year. Online is best. Or, make an appointment and take ID to get an IP PIN immediately in person, when a center near you opens, when you feel comfortable going to an office, when... The younger the dependent, the less likely they can verify their identity. Get your child a credit card, but you keep it; make a purchase & pay it on time.

Comment

It wasn't stated in the OP, but pretty much the only reason to get an IP PIN for a dependent who doesn't file their own return is to delay another person from claiming that dependent. However, it looks like an IP PIN isn't required to be entered for a dependent on a paper filed tax return. It seems unfortunate that the IRS might issue an IP PIN for a dependent without knowing whether the parent/guardian is actually able to claim the dependent -- not really a valid use for an IP PIN.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

All interesting comments. TY. Even filing the form, the IRS will still need to verify their identity. Not sure what criteria will be used but presume it would be the same method as obtaining it via online. I tried calling the 800# but got the "we're too busy to answer your call right now" message so that was a bust. Will try early evening to see if the time difference will make a difference.

Comment

I can tell you that both my husband and I tried to get an IP Pin online. I get a "there's something in your file that prevents..." which is what I get when I try to get back on e-Services. My husband got a message about his cell phone NOT being his cell phone. We've had our cell numbers for 27 years or more. And, yes, I had him wait a day (you get locked out for 24 hours if you can't verify your identity) and try my cell, just in case.

Comment

Working...
              X