PTIN Renewal Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTIN Renewal Issues

I've been trying to renew my PTIN but when I reach the "Pay Now" part of the process, I continue to receive a system error therefore unable to pay. I have tried to renew at various times of the day, as instructed by the PTIN helpline, to no avail. They suggested to pay the fee via check, which frankly, who knows when they would receive and process it. Anyone else having this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Originally posted by deserttax View Post
    I've been trying to renew my PTIN but when I reach the "Pay Now" part of the process, I continue to receive a system error therefore unable to pay. I have tried to renew at various times of the day, as instructed by the PTIN helpline, to no avail. They suggested to pay the fee via check, which frankly, who knows when they would receive and process it. Anyone else having this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?
    Have you tried different browsers? I don't know if this is still the case but as some point at least one IRS site only supported Internet Explorer. Even though Windows has moved to Edge now, you can probably find IE lurking somewhere in the menu system.

Rick

Comment

You might try clearing the cache on your browser. I think I resolved a similar problem that way. Rick's suggestion would likely also work.
      Doug

Comment

I think the browser cache is updated whenever the web page is refreshed. I have experienced problems with cookies, however. One thing to try is to clear all cookies with "irs.gov" in them (this action should be found somewhere in your browser setttings menu). Or, similar to previous comments, try using a browser other than your regular one. For example if you use Chrome all the time, then bring up Edge (which should not be contaminated with very many cookies) and see if you get better results. Using Internet Explorer (IE) is the very last thing I would suggest, it should not be necessary since many have successfully renewed without using it.

Also, good time to put a reminder on the calendar for PTIN renewal next Oct or Nov.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I've tried everything; deleting cookies in Chrome (my current browser), used Edge, tried to renew during of hours, etc. to no avail. I will try using my phone and see if that will work. Robert, I do have a reminder in my phone. I usually wait until Dec to renew. I started the renewal process before the end of the year. Holidays, illness and work related issues converged at one time and wasn't able to tackle this problem until now. Called the PTIN help line several times but not too "helpful". Not sure if it's a third party payment site that's causing this issue.

Comment

Update: I was able to complete the process (pay) using my phone via Safari. Not sure why I couldn't get any of my browsers on my laptop to get through the payment process. It's possible my antivirus software could be the issue. Will have to investigate further.

Comment

Usually outdated browsers and cache with corrupted data will cause those types of problems. I have used both Firefox and Edge with latest updates to access the IRS accounts without any problems.
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
              X