Warning might be a fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning might be a fraud

I just received a rather long (6 part) text message on my cell phone. The party is seeking tax preparers to remotely prepare tax returns. The message contains a link to apply. The phone number is 425 307 5843 and the company claims to be Taxmaker Inc. There is such a company in Seattle, but the phone number does not match. And the website in the cell phone message does not match. I think it is probably a scam. If it isn't, it is a cheesy way to recruit in my opinion.

Delete!!!!

Comment

Do NOT respond to any text messages for professional services if you are a professional! If someone is seeking your professional services there are other ways to get in contact with you.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
        there are other ways to get in contact with you.
        Yes, they could always send a fax.

Seriously, I think there are a lot of people who think of email as a legacy service, and see text messaging as the more modern equivalent. Simply because a message comes to you by SMS text instead of email does not make it more likely to be spam, it just means you've wantonly spread your smartphone number around. I don't use my smartphone at all for business, and not for routine emails either. Why use such a tiny, awkward device when I have a nice dual-monitor system on my desk where I can see everything clearly. Nothing I receive is so urgent that I need to turn my smartphone into the equivalent of a pager.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Each one of us have to determine what is a "scam communication". It can be a fax, text, e-mail or even a voice call! Don't let your guard down.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
          X