Owner employee wages from PPP forgiven loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owner employee wages from PPP forgiven loan

does the owner employee of an S corporation who is paid a salary from a forgiven PPP loan receive a W-2 which is taxable to the owner employee stockholder??

Yes. The owner received his wages, so he receives Form W-2 and pays taxes on those wages. The S corporation paid those wages out of a non-taxable PPP loan, so the S-corporation will not deduct that amount on its Form 1120-S.

Comment

Why can't I just create an account "PPP loan forgiven"?
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I'm creating an Other Expense contra-account with a name something like PPP Loan Forgiven, so the net expenses come out correct on the P&L and on the tax returns, such as an 1120-S. I won't be taking this $ amount out of payroll and that $ amount out of rent, etc. That way, for instance, payroll on the P&L and the income tax return will tie out to Forms 941, W-2, etc., but the net tax-deductible expense will be the correct total for the tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          I'm creating an Other Expense contra-account with a name something like PPP Loan Forgiven, so the net expenses come out correct on the P&L and on the tax returns, such as an 1120-S. I won't be taking this $ amount out of payroll and that $ amount out of rent, etc. That way, for instance, payroll on the P&L and the income tax return will tie out to Forms 941, W-2, etc., but the net tax-deductible expense will be the correct total for the tax return.
          Would it help to show what your debit and credit entries are?
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I have no idea (I don't think anyone does) what entries/what detail the IRS will want to see on the income tax returns for forgiven PPP loans. There's still lots of discussion re loan periods that span two fiscal years.

But the OP asked about issuing a W-2, and that answer is Yes.

If you're asking about the bookkeeping entries, you can make them as detailed as you &/or your client need to track their actual expenses and from which funds they were paid.

If you're asking about applying for forgiveness with the lender, follow their instructions for reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
              I have no idea (I don't think anyone does) what entries/what detail the IRS will want to see on the income tax returns for forgiven PPP loans. There's still lots of discussion re loan periods that span two fiscal years.

But the OP asked about issuing a W-2, and that answer is Yes.

If you're asking about the bookkeeping entries, you can make them as detailed as you &/or your client need to track their actual expenses and from which funds they were paid.

If you're asking about applying for forgiveness with the lender, follow their instructions for reporting.
              I agree that IRS will only require the details if the return is audited. I am also creating a notes section for my clients that got PPP to document what expenses were paid out of those proceeds. That way if the loan is forgiven, it will not be deducted as expense on the tax return. I already alerted my clients what expenses may be paid with PPP loan but there is a good chance they did not pay any attention!
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post

Would it help to show what your debit and credit entries are?
                Debit "PPP Loan Payable- Credit "PPP Loan Forgiven"
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
                X