IRS rule on COVID-19 Coverage for Treatments and Vaccines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS rule on COVID-19 Coverage for Treatments and Vaccines

TheTaxBook update service (now titled "Tax Industry News") has always provided helpful and timely summaries of current tax-related news items, as long as I have been a subscriber. I have a calendar reminder to go review and download them every other month. But the following one has me a little puzzled, plus it seems extra timely to be discussing it now, in light of the start of vaccine rollout. The one I'm referring to is dated 11/05/2020.

Am I correct that coronavirus vaccines will be free to anyone who currently has Minimum Essential Coverage as defined by the ACA?

And if so, as a dismaying follow-up, will scammers try to convince people to send them a payment to get their vaccine "right away"?
    "Cross References
    • TD 9931, November 2, 2020
    The IRS has released an Interim Final Rule (IFC) to implement the CARES Act and the
    Families First Coronavirus Response Act. In general, all group health plans must provide
    coverage for preventative services. Recommended prevention and vaccination services
    must be covered without any deductibles or copayments.
    "

"Due to the urgent need to ensure coverage of
    and access to qualifying coronavirus preventive services, and to ensure that participants,
    beneficiaries, and enrollees can access qualifying coronavirus preventive services on the
    expedited basis, this IFC also provides that plans and issuers must cover, without cost
    sharing, qualifying coronavirus preventive services, regardless of whether such services
    are delivered by an in-network or out-of-network provider.
    This coverage is required to
    be provided within 15 business days after the date the United States
    Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) or the Advisory Committee on Immunization
    Practices of the CDC (ACIP) makes an applicable recommendation
    relating to a qualifying
    coronavirus vaccine
    ."

Separately, I'm wondering:

What is an "interim" "final" rule? Isn't that an oxymoron?

What are the "preventative services" supposed to preventate?

Isn't it interesting how the IRS somehow seems to be directly involved in how this vaccine is administered?
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post

What is an "interim" "final" rule? Isn't that an oxymoron?

It has the authority of a "final" rule (as opposed to a "proposed" rule), but because it has not had comments from the public yet, it could still be changed within a certain time period.

I suspect this is primarily a Health Department thing, and the only reason the IRS is involved is because it adds to the definition of Minimum Essential Coverage for various tax purposes.

Comment

Working...
    X