No announcement yet.

Tax Prep Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dtlee provided an excellent summary of Drake. I am sure there are other members who know ATX, ProSeries etc. inside out and can comment.

IMHO you will never find a tax software that will work 100% of the time for all situations. It is just unrealistic. I look at software evaluation with a cost benefit analysis that fits my business model. I don't do medium or large C corporations, or HOA returns or K-1 from a dozen states for investors so I am not too concerned with them. My bread and butter returns are your typical 1040 returns with Sch C, E, F and some 1065 and a few 1120S returns.

I see a lot of posts on other forums, folks bragging on high end tax software because it does everything! Then they complain how much they are paying for it every year!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I only need technical support from my tax software vendor at most between once and twice per year on average. So no, it's not Drake. Why would I want to have to call support very often? Or put another way, why do so many Drake users know the time it takes to answer a phone support call?

So far this year, I reported a minor bug in a California tax worksheet in writing (online chat/email), and they responded timely and fixed it within a few weeks, as I recall. It's the only time I needed support so far this year.
      Last edited by Rapid Robert; 09-27-2020, 08:47 PM.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I only need technical support from my tax software vendor at most between once and twice per year on average. So no, it's not Drake. Why would I want to have to call support very often? Or put another way, why do so many Drake users know the time it takes to answer a phone support call?

If you don't have to call technical support that is great news. In a typical tax season I may have to call them once or twice also when some calculation does not appear right or some input field moved, or the report is missing some data??

Loyal Drake users like the fact that their technical support team respond very promptly compared to other tax prep software vendors. Perhaps it is just peace of mind knowing some vendors take days to even respond that they received your question. Just go to any tax forum during tax season and read all the posts.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Since your username ends in cpa, I'm guessing you've already seen this, but here's the AICPA's annual software survey results:

Rick

Comment

Started out with CPAID many many moons ago. They got bought out by Best Software, then Intuit bought them. So we have been using Proseries ever since. I love the forms based system, seeing how we use to do returns by hand, before software became "good". But Proseries does have a "data based entry mode too. I ***** and complain about support also, but in the past 20 years or so (too old to remember how many,,alot), I had to call only a hand full of times. And its always a state issue or printing issue. That said I like the GUI of Proseries. Drakes GUI is clunky, and we demo it every other year. Yes Proseries is more, but if you do alot of returns, Proseries is hard to beat at its price point.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post
              They got bought out by Best Software, then Intuit bought them. So we have been using Proseries ever since.
              Best Software. Have not heard that program name in years. Had to use “dot matrix” printers to print the tax results and slide the output into plastic overlays of tax forms and then put the overlays on the printer one by one!
              Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post

. Had to use “dot matrix” printers to print the tax results and slide the output into plastic overlays of tax forms and then put the overlays on the printer one by one!
                I started out in the mid eighties doing the same thing, I use a software call RAM, probably one
                of the best software at that time, only problem was the whole program Federal and all states
                where on one 3 1/2 floppy disk, people just couldn't believe a program on one disk could be
                very good. They eventually sold out (can't remember, I think LMS then Ultra Tax end up with them)
                I use Lacerte now and very happy with them, except for the price.

Comment

I started out in the mid eighties doing the same thing, I use a software call RAM, probably one
                  of the best software at that time, only problem was the whole program Federal and all states
                  where on one 3 1/2 floppy disk, people just couldn't believe a program on one disk could be
                  very good.
                  Back then there was another tax program called EZ Tax that was quite popular and a bunch of Lotus 123 based spreadsheets that accountants developed and sold them as shareware. You could modify the spreadsheet as you wished. My first HD was a 10MB external that started with the noise of a MAC truck!

Comment

And once the HP Laserjets came out with the tax font cartridge, things go alot better. But boy those printers were an arm and a leg !! Any of you pc builders remember "Computer Shopper" magazine. Magazine was the size of a small car. First PC we bought was a Gateway. Its was their 1st or 2nd year of business (1985 or 86). Second PC I built. From there on I built every PC we have used. I came across some old modems and it brought back memories of dialing up Nelco to efile !!! I never get rid of those old PC's or the software. Oh how the times have changed !!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've seen the AICPA survey results mentioned by rbynaker but I wanted to hear directly from practitioners. The comments are very insightful.

Comment

I came across some old modems and it brought back memories of dialing up Nelco to efile !!!
                        I still have my Hayes 2400 Baud external modem and it still works though I can't do anything with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                          I still have my Hayes 2400 Baud external modem and it still works though I can't do anything with it.
                          AT&T / Uverse just notified me that they are discontinuing their dial-up service in October.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dtlee View Post
                            AT&T / Uverse just notified me that they are discontinuing their dial-up service in October.
                            Are you still using Dial-up service to access the Internet??

I was using DSL from Verizon and then switched to Cable from Comcast once our road was wired.

Comment

Here's are a few features to look for, as a proxy for how full of features your software is. You may not need these for most of your clients, but for the high-end clients you presumably are targeting, they are valuable features to have, and they indicate the type of support for features overall that you can expect:
                              • Easily and semi-automatically allocate your prior year tax prep fee across all Schedules C, E, F or 4835 in the return - by percent or dollar amount
                              • Track non-dividend distributions reported on Form 1099-DIV over all years

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I've been looking to switch software (from ProSystemFX) and find the posts on this thread very helpful. I am concerned about certain amounts not being calculated automatically. Does Drake provide a list of calculations it does not do automatically or does it at least provide a diagnostic if one of the calculations are not made?

I would hope so otherwise how would a new user have confidence with a Drake-prepared return unless every calculated amount on the return was rechecked?

Comment

Working...
                                X