Paying for paving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spanel View Post

Although they could donate money to the county that would qualify as a charitable contribution, if they say "you must use it for this purpose" would invalidate the tax deduction.
    Interesting. Your reply post is exactly word for word that TaxGuy Bill posted 4 DAYS EARLIER!!!! (see quote below)

What are the chances of that?

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
    Although they could donate money to the county that would qualify as a charitable contribution, if they say "you must use it for this purpose" would invalidate the tax deduction..
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 09-01-2020, 08:43 PM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Copy/Paste. Poster apparently didn't see your reply, so I gave it to him one more time. :-)

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
        That section is referring to a government assessments. The reference to HOA fees is probably closer to the situation:
        Although I may not have come out and said it in so many words, I thought it was clear that I was implying the residents should take steps to set up a legal Benefit Assessment District to handle the road repair/upgrade so that they could get a tax benefit.

As I did mention earlier, I don't see how on their own they can just shut down the road and start making repairs without first having the local government involved, so how would that even be under consideration for anything, tax deductible or not?

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

This sounds like one of those situations where the media could be of some help. Suggest they contact the newspapers/TV/public radio stations and see if there is any interest in taking up this cause. Publicity (especially negative to the governing authorities) is sometimes quite advantageous to stimulating action. Petitioning the local county-state governing members (especially in their district) would be a good step as well. They also need to do their homework as far as cost and benefit to the community. Since they say the county "won't do it," it's probably money more than a lack of need. Politicians represent their constituents, and generally try to listen to reasonable argument.

Comment

Working...
          X