Late Filing and Penalties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Filing and Penalties

I have a long time client who I just completed their returns for 2013-2018. In the early years small refunds were due which will not be paid because of the late filing. but for 2018 the tax bill was just over $100,000. We really have no legitimate reason for the late filing and late payment so the IRS amounts due are some $40,000. Any ideas how we can reduce or abate this penalty and the reasons the IRS would reduce the penalty...Thanks,,,Duane Anderson

Will he qualify for First Time Abatement after all returns are filed and processed? Is 2018 his only balance due?

Comment

First option as Lion suggests First Time Abatement.

In addition to other reply posts, some other options if needed
      • An installment agreement
      • An offer in compromise
      If you are not experienced or uncomfortable, suggest Client get professional representation
      Last edited by TAXNJ; 08-21-2020, 01:06 PM.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

He owed $3,000 for 2017 and 2013 - 2016 were all small refunds...Thanks,,,duane

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Anderson View Post
          He owed $3,000 for 2017 and 2013 - 2016 were all small refunds...Thanks,,,duane
          see first time abatement rules:

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

TTB - page 15-2 - First Time Penalty Abatement
            Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

No doubt FTA is a valuable tool but I think you don't get to 'pick your year". If it's applicable it will be used for the 2017 tax year and not the 2018 tax year with the much, much larger liability..

Comment

Working...
              X