Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draft of 2020 Form 1040

Note the following lines:

10b Charitable Contribution, Max $300 Cares Act.
    30 Stimulus Check reconciliation. Instructions to be released. I am assuming an additional worksheet will also be required.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Did you notice that the draft 1040-SR is now a four page form? Simplification indeed

Comment

As soon as IRS (or was it Congress) announced that they were redesigning a post card sized tax return without underlying changes to the tax reporting system, I knew they were blowing smoke up you know where!!!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Atsman : As I understand this, very few taxpayers (if any) will be negatively affected by the reconciliation, but there could be some that get a larger credit than was initially provided.
        Think this is correct ? RWG1950

Comment

A couple of the lines they added will help in reviewing returns. The non-refundable credit amount actually shows on 1040. That alone will cut down on my swearing. I also like the separate line for W/H from W-2 and 1099's.

I'm not happy that for 2021 the box 7 of 1099-misc will receive it's own form. The least they can do is allow it to be plain paper rather than the red drop.

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
            I'm not happy that for 2021 the box 7 of 1099-misc will receive it's own form.
            The Form 1099-NEC is not new, it existed in the distant past and was made inactive for a number of years, now it's back. (EDIT: you mean 2020, not 2021)

The motivation is the filing deadline. Under current law, with 2019 1099-MISC you had different filing deadlines depending on which box(es) were filled in. Now you have a much more straight-forward set-up to determine filing deadline for 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
              The Form 1099-NEC is not new, it existed in the distant past and was made inactive for a number of years, now it's back. (EDIT: you mean 2020, not 2021)

The one on IRS draft forms is 2021, but I see Box 7 is also not on 1099misc for 2020. I don't care so much that they have a new form as that they still are the red drop forms. I was thinking when W-2's were allowed on plain paper, it was said that 1099's would follow suit shortly.

Comment

I was thinking when W-2's were allowed on plain paper, it was said that 1099's would follow suit shortly.

But W-2's to go the Social Security Administration and 1099's go to the IRS. So it was the Social Security Administration that allows non-red forms, but the IRS still requires them with red.

Out of curiosity, why do you file them by paper rather than e-filing them?

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post

Out of curiosity, why do you file them by paper rather than e-filing them?
                  Because I'm frugal.

Comment

LOL. Yeah, I'm quite frugal too.

For my circumstances I've gotten to the point that that ease of doing things is worth the fairly low cost (much of the information carries over from year to year). And that extra cost is passed on to the clients.

Comment

E-filing saves me time which gives me time to make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                        E-filing saves me time which gives me time to make more money.
                        Agreed. E-File is the way to go unless you are filing just one or two forms as a favor to someone.

Comment

I don't see how hitting the print button takes any longer than hitting the e-file button.

Comment

I don't see how hitting the print button takes any longer than hitting the e-file button.
                            Postage, Toner, Paper, envelope, gas and time to go to the post office, wear and tear on printer etc. etc. If you love to paper file more power to you BUT I hate it like a plague!

I charge extra for paper filing returns for those who insist on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post

Postage, Toner, Paper, envelope, gas and time to go to the post office, wear and tear on printer etc. etc. If you love to paper file more power to you BUT I hate it like a plague!

I charge extra for paper filing returns for those who insist on it.
                              Well, I don't do many of the items on your list. I print and give to client for them to sign, mail and distribute to recipients.
                              Do you give client a copy to authorize before you e-file on their behalf?

Comment

Working...
                              X