Use of Dropbox with clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post
    With Smartvault, clients have to create an account and we could forecast many. many phone calls on how to set it up. Dont have time for holding hands to do that. With Encyro, clients have a choice to set up one or not..
    If they don't create an account, then how do they download, say, the tax return from two years ago that you uploaded for them?

As for difficulty, does "creating an account" require anything more than choosing a password? That's how full-service portals usually handle it.

If the only security is via a link in an email, what happens if someone else gets access to a copy of that email message?

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbriar View Post
      Thanks for the tip on Encyro. Wondering if you looked at the Intuit Link feature that comes with the ProSeries.
      I believe that "link" has Intuits trade mark plastered all over its GUI. Which I find in conflict. Encyro and others allow you to integrate your own logo.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
        If they don't create an account, then how do they download, say, the tax return from two years ago that you uploaded for them?

As for difficulty, does "creating an account" require anything more than choosing a password? That's how full-service portals usually handle it.

If the only security is via a link in an email, what happens if someone else gets access to a copy of that email message?
        Go to Encyro for a video on how it works. Its email based. All communications are link to the client and your email. Here is the simple link to our Secure Web Portal for example. https://www.encyro.com/taxman All they have to do is drop scanned files into the box, put in their email and thats it. Can be accessed via smartphone. If you access via smartphone clients can use the camera to take pictures of all documents. Handy for those without a scanner. Its not an end all, do all, but, its cheap, works and is secure. At the bottom of Encyro's main page is a link for tax professionals.
        Last edited by Twin Turbo Z; 08-17-2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on Encyro. Wondering if you looked at the Intuit Link feature that comes with the ProSeries.
          Take a look at the Youtube videos of Intuit Link. Basically it is a Q&A and data/document collection tool. Does not have all the functionality of Smartvault. But the price is right I suppose!
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Wondering if you looked at the Intuit Link feature that comes with the ProSeries.

I've never used it, and because of the numerous complaints about it on the ProSeries forum, I never will use it. Although I use ProSeries, I wouldn't recommend using any Intuit tax product. The company doesn't care about its customers at all.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post

I've never used it, and because of the numerous complaints about it on the ProSeries forum, I never will use it. Although I use ProSeries, I wouldn't recommend using any Intuit tax product. The company doesn't care about its customers at all.
              Interesting reply. A number of business colleagues use Pro Series and the “Link” without complaints. If you don’t recommend using “any Intuit tax product“ would that include Pro Series when you say you use Pro Series?

Curious as to why so to share with colleagues. Thanks.
              Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Yes, that includes ProSeries. I like the way data is input into ProSeries and I don't want to deal with a large "learning curve" to change to another software. But I would NEVER recommend anybody to switch TO an Intuit product.

Each year the errors and problems increase, the "fixes" are slower and slower and customer support is worse and worse. Yet, the price seems to always exceed "inflation".

They repeatedly ignore requests for fixes and enhancements that are asked for by a large number of people. Yet, they often add "enhancements" that customers DON'T ask for and/or are an add-on for an extra fee. The continual responses (and lack of responses) clearly show that Management doesn't care whatsoever about its customers.

I used to regularly answer questions on the TurboTax forum (TurboTax is produced by Intuit) and had access to a special 'inside' forum with the Moderators and other regular people there. There were COUNTLESS times that we would submit a blatant error in the program, provide the developers with citations from Publications, Code, Regulations, etc., yet the developers CONTINUALLY would respond that it was "working as designed". So the developers are completely clueless. TurboTax and ProSeries has the same "tax engine" and therefore has many of the same developers.

So while I like the core product of ProSeries, the company itself is horrible and each year the product and the attitude of its key employees (such as Management) gets worse.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                  Each year the errors and problems increase, the "fixes" are slower and slower and customer support is worse and worse. Yet, the price seems to always exceed "inflation".
                  Tell us how you really feel! :-)

I see some people (not me) on customer forums saying similar things about Thomson Reuters and UltraTax and the related family of products. Its only natural that the more expensive products with more features are going to get more complaints, compared to for example Drake or TaxAct. How can you complain about a broken feature if the feature doesn't exist in the first place?

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

There were COUNTLESS times that we would submit a blatant error in the program, provide the developers with citations from Publications, Code, Regulations, etc., yet the developers CONTINUALLY would respond that it was "working as designed". So the developers are completely clueless.
                    If the software is calculating a tax return incorrectly and the developer refuses to correct it then you as a tax preparer must prepare that return manually or use another software that correctly prepares it. I would NOT renew my license if I knew that the developer is not going to fix a glitch that produces an inaccurate tax return. As a matter of fact I would look to enforce a refund of my license fee.
                    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I use ProSeries Link, and its not easy for clients (or user friendly for me) some clients never have been able to use. Thanks for the tip on Encyro, as it seems very user friendly and affordable.

Comment

Go to Encyro for a video on how it works. Its email based. All communications are link to the client and your email.
                        All they have to do is drop scanned files into the box, put in their email and thats it.
                        Noted that you did not address any of the three issues mention in post #16.

Originally posted by terryats View Post
                        I use ProSeries Link, and its not easy for clients (or user friendly for me) some clients never have been able to use. Thanks for the tip on Encyro, as it seems very user friendly and affordable.
                        Also, be sure to update your mandated tax pro security plan to indicate that you routinely share confidential client tax data without using any password at all, let alone multi-factor authentication.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
                          Noted that you did not address any of the three issues mention in post #16.

Also, be sure to update your mandated tax pro security plan to indicate that you routinely share confidential client tax data without using any password at all, let alone multi-factor authentication.
                          I did address the three issues on post 16 Go to their site and watch video's and read. Should explain all your questions. If it doesnt, then email them any questions that are not explained on their site.

Comment

I did address the three issues on post 16 Go to their site and watch video's and read. Should explain all your questions. If it doesnt, then email them any questions that are not explained on their site.

Agree. Good answer. That is the best way for a reply poster wanting more in-depth info and/or suggestions to improve a company’s product by going to the source directly.
                            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                              wanting more in-depth info [on] company’s product by going to the source directly.
                              That's right, of course vendors never mislead or exaggerate the features of their product, and they always fully, openly, and truthfully report all the shortcomings and drawbacks too. [sarcasm]

A potential benefit of this forum is to get an objective review from someone who is not an employee of the vendor, but apparently TTZ is not willing to provide that.

Comment

Working...
                              X