NY digital signatures temp auth expired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY digital signatures temp auth expired

There is an argument to be made that many of the "temporary" changes to bureaucratic procedures due to coronavirus could actually be made permanent, with little overall harm. This is especially true in the tax world.

Here is one. NY has now allowed its temporary acceptance of digital signatures on tax forms to expire. "the Commissioner will determine whether there is a continuing need to allow for the acceptance of digital signatures" and apparently (through lack of action) they have determined there is not a need. But if they were acceptable for the better part of the year to date, why are they suddenly not acceptable now?

I for one will continue to ignore the requirement for only wet-ink signatures on efiled NY tax returns, all one or two of them I prepare each year. Come and get me, Cuomo!!

Last edited by Rapid Robert; 07-30-2020, 02:22 PM.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

A bill passed the Senate and the Assembly labeled their own bill "same as" the Senate bill which I hear is a good sign that both houses will agree. It seems the Assembly voted but sent it back to the senate? It doesn't look like it's gone to the governor yet to sign. But, I'm hopeful.

Comment

Is Alaska still holding out?

Comment

NYSSEA has been pushing for "signature" legislation. They had a good part in drafting the actual verbiage.
        The e-signature bill was one of the first items addressed by both the Assembly and the Senate after the COVID break. The bill passed the Senate 57–3 and passed unanimously in the Assembly at 141–0. It now awaits the governors signature. I think it will be signed unless NYS DTF objects.

Comment

Thank you. I thought I read that, but couldn't find it earlier. I'm not a NYer, so I can't bug my state legislators or the governor's office. But, I have made contributions to the NYSSEA from time to time for their good work helping all EAs (getting EAs on the same footing as CPAs and attorneys re registering, for example) so maybe it's time to do so again to show my gratitude.

Comment

From software update readme dated Sept 17 2020:

"The use of electronic signatures was signed into New York State law. The eSignature feature has been enabled for New York Forms TR-579-IT and TR-579.1-IT, New York State E-file Signature Authorization."
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
            X