Uber depreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uber depreciation

If you 50% depreciate a car and do not drive the next year do how have to return the depreciation?

Yes. And this has nothing in particular to do with Uber, it applies to any business-use auto.

From TheTaxBook:

"Business use drops to 50% or less. The Section 179 deduction, special deprecation allowance, and MACRS 200DB depreciation must be recaptured if, during the recovery period, the business use of the vehicle drops to 50% or less. The recaptured amount is the excess of the Section 179 deduction, special depreciation allowance, and 200DB depreciation versus what would have been allowed had straight-line depreciation been claimed for every year.

Self-employment tax on depreciation recapture. The amount of depreciation recaptured because business use of a vehicle dropped to 50% or less must be reported as ordinary income, and is also subject to self-employment tax. This depreciation recapture is reported on Part IV of Form 4797."

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I am reading your question differently than Rapid Robert. If in year one the car was used 50% for business then by law SL depreciation would have been used. If in year 2 the car was used even less there would be no recapture to report. There is only recapture if section 179 is used or accelerated depreciation is used.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
        I am reading your question differently than Rapid Robert.
        Good point. At first glance I thought it just meant that half the unadjusted basis of the car had already been deducted as a depreciation expense, and I assumed accelerated depreciation (because otherwise, why wouldn't one just use standard mileage?) We need clarification on what "you 50% depreciate a car" means.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
        X