Form 1120S Schedule L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 1120S Schedule L

I admit I am quite weak at this area. This is a Form 1120-S tax return. The business is on cash basis. Therefore, Accounts Receivables are not reported in current year's income until they are actually received in a future year. In this case, Accounts Receivables should not be shown on Schedule L, is it correct?

Thank you in advance for the help.

That's correct. Which means that you have to convert their books to the cash basis as of the end of the year. If the only accrual item that they have is a/r, then we make an adjustment to debit revenues and credit "deferred revenues", a liability account. Then the a/r balance (asset) and the deferred revenues (liability) wash themselves out. And are not reported on the balance sheet on Schedule L. I suppose you could also make the deferred revenues a "contra-a/r" acct, which would do the same thing.

Comment

Thank you Maribeth.

Comment

"you have to convert their books to the cash basis as of the end of the year."

Not if the books are kept on a cash basis. Not if using Quickbooks. With QB, whether to report on cash or accrual basis is a simple menu option on the P&L and Bal. Sheet reports

Note to AccTaxMan: remember, the Schedule L balance sheet is PER BOOKS. Book to tax adjustments (depreciation, meals/entertainment, etc) are on Schedule M1.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
        X