Outside basis of a partner and capital gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside basis of a partner and capital gains

I have a question regarding outside basis of a limited partner in a partnership. This partner received a K-1s in which the cash distribution to the partner is way more than the partner's basis. There is also a huge rental loss on this K-1. I believe that the difference between the partner's outside basis and the cash distribution should be treated as a capital gain. However, in looking at last year's tax return (in which the same situation applied) the difference was not entered as a capital gain. Either I am missing something or the prior preparer made an error.
    In all cases, the rental loss should be suspended since the taxpayer's income exceeds the $100,000 limit. As I understand it, the Form 8582 should be completed and included with the tax return to track those non-deductible losses.

So to give an example of what I mean:

Note: In neither year did the partner contribute any money or property to the partnership. Limited partner.

2018 Partner's outside basis at the beginning of the year: 0

2018 Partner's share of income is: $3,123 (interest, no box 1 income)
    Rental RE loss is: $37,176 (this amount I expected to see on the Form 8582)
    Cash distribution is: $66,230.
    I am thinking that the partner should have reported a capital gain of: $63,107
    Also, partner's share of Non-recourse liabilities went down $40,724
    and Partner's share of Recourse liabilities went down by $409,933
    (those last two I believe stay suspended).

2019 Partner's share of income: $2,730
    Rental RE loss is: $77,624 (again, I feel this should go on the Form 8582, added to prior year amounts)
    Cash distribution: $83,133
    I think that the partner should report capital gain of $80,403
    Partner's share of non-recourse liabilities went down by $70,670 (again, in suspension)

Am I missing something?

See

TTB 20-6
    Reporting partner’s share of income or loss

TTB 20-10
    Limit on Losses

Also, See Partner’s Adjusted Basis Worksheet (Outside Basis)
    either in The Tax Book or IRS website
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
    X