Delayed refunds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delayed refunds?

Is anyone else experiencing delayed refunds? I've had several clients with returns filed over a month ago that say"Your return is still being processed". Most of these are simple returns from retired clients.

I am experiencing the same thing with a handful of returns. I called about a few of them and was told they are in 'taxpayer Protection program" and they will have to wait until that unit sends them a verification letter and she wasn't sure if the IRS has started sending out correspondence yet. That was a week or so ago. Crazy because nothing odd about the returns.

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
      Is anyone else experiencing delayed refunds? I've had several clients with returns filed over a month ago that say"Your return is still being processed".
      Thanks for this. Yes, I've got two; both of them were e-filed and ack'ed early May. A common characteristic I noticed is they both made estimated payments for 2019.
      Last edited by BP.; 07-01-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I am having the same issue with several of mine, just logged on to see if anyone new what was going on!

Comment

knew dang it!

Comment

Originally posted by manceandpeters View Post
            knew dang it!
            You can edit your posts to fix typos. I think that was true even back in 2010 when you joined the forum.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

i just got off the phone with the IRS. I was told that they are running behind because they are just starting back up after being down due to COVID. My client was filed and accepted the end of April. It appeared there was nothing wrong with return. But the computer doesn't show a date when refund will be sent.
              I was told to tell them to check "Where's my refund?" every day. If they haven't gotten their refund or heard from IRS by August 23 to call back. They would be able to tell something by then.
              He said people just have to be patient. But that is hard to do when you need the money.

Linda F

Comment

I had one which was delayed two months. E-filed 3/27, was processed 5/27 - direct deposit. Thought at first it was due to small EIC, but no correspondence from IRS. Just got processed with no comment.

Comment

Just heard from a tax preparer who received from an IRS employee a copy of an internal IRS memo revised 25 June which stated, “…accounts with Estimated Tax Payments…are temporarily being prevented from settling…, including refunds. A request has been submitted to release…refund and zero balance accounts to mitigate taxpayer hardship.”

Apparently, due to a glitch, refunds resulting from estimated payments (returns that would’ve been balance due returns without the estimated payments) will only be processed 17 August. She included an emoji of her hitting her head.

You can’t make this stuff up!

Comment

Makes perfect sense now! Two of my client's still waiting had Estimated taxes and yes without the estimated taxes both would have a large balance due with penalty! Fortunately one of them is reasonable and understands that COVID-19 threw a monkey wrench in America functioning normally!
                    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Thank you, Lion, for sharing this!

Comment

Hopefully, now that the IRS has uncovered the programming glitch and requested a solution, refunds will start coming out instead of waiting for 17 August !! I'm sure it didn't matter in normal years. But with severe under-staffing, the IRS wanted to concentrate on getting refunds out and didn't take into account all the details of identifying refund returns.

Comment

Working...
                        X