Ppp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ppp

In 2020, a sole proprietor Sch C taxpayer receives a $2700 PPP loan for owner compensation replacement.

The loan is ultimately forgiven, and not required to be paid back.

Does taxpayer need to include the $2700 on his 2020 tax return as Sch C income, subject to income & se tax?

no
    however, i need 10 characters to post
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

SBA just released the updated PPP Forgiveness application including a EZ version.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

No, however as I understand it, the expenses that he paid with the PPP are not deductible as an expense.

Comment

I have reviewed the new forgiveness application and upon review I do not see where transportation expense has a separate line entry. On a previous post several weeks ago someone replied that transportation meant fuel expense, with some authority. Does that mean that fuel will be included under utilities or what?
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Love their definitions, but, yes, transportation seems to be fuel for company-owned vehicles and appears in the list of utilities.

Comment

Would the mileage allowance per mile be acceptable?
              Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I'm Just guessing, but I think fuel has to be the way the business operates. Like a trucking company or how product is delivered, not just general use of a business car. I can be wrong and have been wrong in the past.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Does this help reply posters for a reference? Reason: no one is pointing to specific references for guidance.

https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/fi...7%2020-508.pdf

and

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Does this means the $2700 as owners draw is not reported on taxes? Client can say I took PPP for my compensation (i.e. draw) as sole prop and not to pay any bills, wonder how to account for that in taxes. Will Schedule C income will go up as other income, if no expenses to offset?

Comment

I don't think it gets accounted for on the tax return. He basically received a $2700 non-taxable grant.
                      "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

A sole proprietor's owner's draw is not a deduction on the tax return. The forgiven PPP is not income on a tax return. If 100% is forgiven, the tax return will not change. But, the SP's cash flow probably improved by receiving the PPP in the first half of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                          A sole proprietor's owner's draw is not a deduction on the tax return. The forgiven PPP is not income on a tax return. If 100% is forgiven, the tax return will not change. But, the SP's cash flow probably improved by receiving the PPP in the first half of the year.
                          Please, if I am wrong on this correct me. I believe that the owners draw money from the PPP will not be a forgivable loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty2004 View Post

Please, if I am wrong on this correct me. I believe that the owners draw money from the PPP will not be a forgivable loan.
                            8/52 of the taxpayer's net Schedule C income will be forgiven. With the new recent guidelines there is some hope that that will be extended to 24/52.

Comment

Or, at least the 2.5/12 that the loan was based on might be eligible for forgiveness per the latest guidance on the PPPFA. It's changing almost daily, so stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                              X