NJ Inheritance Tax return IT-R question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NJ Inheritance Tax return IT-R question

NJ exempts certain items from inheritance, e.g. <$500, spouse, children, state & fed pension et al. My question is whether these have to be entered on the NJ IT-R even though they are exempt from inheritance tax. Decedent was NJ resident. Thank you.

Is the person preparing the return an Attorney, CPA or Enrolled Agent? Reason see summary of the NJ provisions N.J.A.C. 18:26-12.2(a)1.iv below. At one time only attorneys allowed to prepare the returns.

See column "Exempt" on the IT-R (9-11), by following the columns and lines 9 to 14 to arrive at Total Tax Due. The instructions and form has not been updated in years.

to save you much aggravation, a little known fact to be aware of:

Under the provisions of N.J.A.C. 18:26-12.2(a)1.iv, before beginning work on a New Jersey transfer inheritance tax return, CPAs, and now enrolled agents, must notify the client in writing that “review of the return by a qualified attorney may be desirable because of the possible application of legal principles to the preparation of the tax return.” A copy of the properly executed notification must be filed with the transfer inheritance tax return.
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-13-2020, 09:25 AM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Good info TAXNJ, thank you. I am preparing, attorney is signing. I'll include all exempt items and show on the appropriate "Exempt" line.

Comment

Working...
      X