Non-filers EIP tool vs. 2019 return needs to be filed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-filers EIP tool vs. 2019 return needs to be filed

From another tax pro, I read the following comment relaying what an IRS Stakeholder Liaison had mentioned in a phone conference call:
      • Handling e-file reject when non-filer return filed
        • Unofficially: Do not file a 1040X OR an original
        • Official procedure is expected

That's about the most useless advice I've read from the IRS in a long time. I have a client in this situation, and I already gave them a paper return to mail in. The real question is why are they treating the non filer "return" as an efiled return in the first place? Are they treating payments automatically made to SS recipients as filed returns? If not, then why treat the other non-filers any differently?

I was thinking of just adding this to the prior thread on IRS lack of transparency and mis-information being provided to taxpayers, but decided to start a new thread. And before TaxNJ jumps in to ask what I would do better, I already answered that above: don't treat non-filer tool users as having filed a return, or if it must be done that way, then provide the "official procedure" now, not later.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

No, would not ask in this case as you say ".....And before TaxNJ jumps in to ask what I would do better, I already answered that above:...."

Rather sometimes taking and/or relying on third party information could be unreliable or misunderstood. Think the answer for this issue would be from the IRS either in writing or code.
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-08-2020, 08:49 AM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
    X