IRS lack of transparency still in full effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS lack of transparency still in full effect

Continuing the pattern of getting information first by tweet, rumor, mainstream media, anyone but the IRS. (It was previously noted that IRS stated for weeks that it would continue the "essential work" of processing tax returns, before they reversed themselves and said they would not be processing paper filed returns. Also that they waited until after payments were being issued to inform anyone that bank info provided for direct debit payments would not be used for EIP direct deposits).

"The Treasury Department, which is overseeing the distribution of the checks, did not respond to multiple requests for comment on whether the IRS is delaying some checks because of unresolved issues with a recipient’s past tax returns."

Americans with tax issues aren't getting their coronavirus stimulus checks. They suspect the IRS is delaying payment (USA Today)

"The April 23, 2020, IRS “Economic Impact Payment Discussion” webinar is postponed!

The IRS announced that today’s “Economic Impact Payment Discussion” webinar has been postponed. The notification did not cite any specific reason for the postponement,"

https://www.drakesoftware.com/archiv...nar-postponed/

Run and hide, Charlie Rettig!
    Last edited by Rapid Robert; 05-16-2020, 10:35 AM.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Agree there are many issues still existing.

With the current environment with employees staying home from their work place with/without technology to continue working, it will be a problem.

So if the government places you in charge how would you correct the current issues, e.g., forces employees to go back to the office ?

Will you list what and how you know it should be done to save the economy and get more transparency ?

thanks
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
      So if the government places you in charge how would you correct the current issues, e.g., forces employees to go back to the office ?
      You still seem to be confusing transparency with competency. In the OP, I was not criticizing the many shortcomings of the IRS in the current crisis, I was criticizing the mis-statements of fact and omissions and keeping of secrets. To answer your question, I would act as if my job were to serve the taxpayers, not some Cheez Whiz only interested in self-serving political blather sent out as an official IRS communication (see Notice 1444 mailed to EIP recipients, for example). I would tell them what we are doing, when we do it, not after the fact, and I would respond when it is determined that our published FAQ is at odds with the law as written (for example, payments to deceased taxpayers which are not required to be returned).

Now here is a new one, that IRS obviously has known about for a while but only just now decided was worth sharing with the people they are supposed to serve. Again, we get news from a Treasury dept news release first, not from the IRS via its many official channels of electronic communication.

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm1012

Treasury is Delivering Millions of Economic Impact Payments by Prepaid Debit Card

Lest you once again mis-interpret, I'm not saying whether or not I think the move to prepaid debit cards is good or bad, I'm saying, why wasn't this announced when the decision was made?
      Last edited by Rapid Robert; 05-18-2020, 07:39 PM.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

No confusion about transparency with competency. What you state would be good. Such a large organization and complex issues in a short time frame that when rolled out would need continuing improvements.

Think no matter who was in charge there would be many who say they can do better. A thankless job no matter how it was done. For example, look at past stimulus program comments, different people in charge but similar comments.
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 05-19-2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Happens when your not reading your own posts or maybe when reading your own posts. Happens to positive posters.
          Last edited by TAXNJ; 05-19-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Our state tried this Debit Card fiasco for refunds and subsequently deep-sixed it due to all the complaints.

Comment

Maybe there is confusion and lack of transparency because IRS employees are stuck at home too, like the rest of us, and the Administration keeps firing people for pointing out flaws in the system, so they learn to keep their mouth shut when things screw up.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarecrow View Post
                Maybe there is confusion and lack of transparency because IRS employees are stuck at home too, like the rest of us, and the Administration keeps firing people for pointing out flaws in the system, so they learn to keep their mouth shut when things screw up.
                Terrible that is happening if true.

Where did you find actual proof of this happening “....and the Administration keeps firing people for pointing out flaws in the system,....“ or is that statement a guess?

Comment

To beat a dying horse. Here is another example: when will someone get an EIP in the mail, assuming they already filed their 2019 return without refund bank account info?

I had to search for this info to answer a client who does not want to provide any bank info to IRS for any purpose. Why oh why do I have to find a media report for an "IRS internal memo" instead of just getting the news from IRS itself?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimwang...-full-schedule

There is information they know internally that should be divulged to the citizens and residents who pay for it, but they won't do it. How Long Has This Been Going On?

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
                    ....How Long Has This Been Going On?
                    “How Long Has This Been Going On may also refer to: "How Long" (Ace song) from 1974,“ Source:LyricFind

Comment

Working...
                    X