Stimulus check received for MFJ but one spouse died in 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stimulus check received for MFJ but one spouse died in 2019

Maybe I missed it but couldn't find if this has been covered in the forum yet... Retired, widowed taxpayer just received $2,400 stimulus check but husband died in late 2019. Cash the check or return the check? I read the discussion relating to a deceased single taxpayer but didn't see discussion on this situation.

The CARES Act says eligibility for the advance credit is determined based on 2019 tax return, or if not filed yet, 2018 tax return. It also says if no longer eligible in 2020, it does not have to be repaid.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

My understanding is any over payment of stimulus will be forgiven on the 2020 tax return....NO REPAYMENT REQUIRED....
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

IRS Updated Q & A. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...rmation-center

See Q #10 and #41

Comment

Good find.... I wish they would make up their mind...……..
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by Grace View Post
            IRS Updated Q & A. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...rmation-center

See Q #10 and #41
            Except the answer to #10 is in contradiction to the actual law. Nowhere does it say in the CARES Act that " A Payment made to someone who died before receipt of the Payment should be returned to the IRS". And in fact, "should" is just an advisory term, we all know that in tax law unless it is "shall" or "must", it is optional.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
            X