Form 966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 966

Am I correct in my assessment that a S Corporation electing to dissolve itself must file a form 966 in the same manner that a C Coporation?

I can't find any detailed instructions on this form.

Also, the line that reads: Last Day, Month and Year of Final Tax Year
    Do they want the calender year end 12/31/06 or the actual date of dissolution?

TIA.

TTB, page 18-18 indicates Form 966 applies to both C corporations and S corporations.

When they ask for the last day of the final tax year, it is the date of dissolution or liquidation, as a corporation does not exist after that date. That is why a calendar year corporation that liquidates on any day other than December 31 will have a short tax year for its final year.

Comment

Don't instructions require "certified " plan of liquidation to accompany the form 966? Or some such verbage.

Comment

The form itself says: "Attach a certified copy of the resolution or plan and all amendments or supplements not previously filed."

Comment

I've always wanted to know. Where do you get a certified resolution or plan?

Comment

I just tell my clients to have their plan notarized by a notary. I don't know of any other way to "certify" it.

Comment

Working...
            X