Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I claim my girlfriend and her children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I claim my girlfriend and her children?

The taxpayer supports the girlfriend and the 3 children ages 2-4-6 . The girlfriend does not work and receives no child support. Can the taxpayer take EIC on the children who has lived with him for 2 years.

Comment

Are the children his children or hers?

Chris

Comment

The children belong to the mother by a previous marriage. The mother is divorced.

Comment

Did your work through the 7 dependency tests for 2019 in TTB Deluxe Edition Plus beginning on 3-25 (your edition might have different page numbering)?

Comment

He can claim them as qualifying relatives. NO EIC, NO CTC, NO HOH.

Chris

Comment

Please also remember there is a $500+ penalty associated with these type of returns if you prepare incorrectly.. which seems high in your case.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
                He can claim them as qualifying relatives. NO EIC, NO CTC, NO HOH.
                Right, but he can claim the ODC for all four of them, at $500 each. []. (all subject to AGI phaseout limits, of course).
                [edit - removed incorrect info, see following comment]
                Last edited by Rapid Robert; 04-22-2020, 10:55 AM.
                "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
                  And on his 2020 return, he should be able to claim EIP credits for the kids, another $500 each. (all subject to AGI phaseout limits, of course).

No, not unless he marries the mom. The kids need to be a "Qualifying Child", so he would not get it.

In the event the mom were to get a job and make over $4300, she would not be a dependent. Then she would qualify for $1200 of Stimulus. If she claimed the kids, she would get $500 Stimulus for each of them, plus some EIC and a little Additional Child Tax Credit.

Comment

Working...
                  X