Ip pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ip pin

This is the second time in a row IRS has rejected my E-file due to "The Primary Taxpayer did not enter a valid Identity Protection Personal ID Number (IP PIN)." I e-filed taxpayer return last year and prior years
    with no problem; taxpayer has no knowledge of ID thief, or receiving IP PIN notice from IRS. I went to IRS IP PIN website yesterday and assisted taxpayer in obtaining the IP PIN, which took about 20 - 30 min,
    Now, looks like I am going to have to do it again. Have anyone else had this problem?

I have 2 clients that receive the IP PIN each year and no issue e-filing. My state was not on the list of states where taxpayers can voluntarily request a IP PIN.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Not that this reply is useful to the situation at hand, but I want to pass on a situation I had. Wife was the one that was issued an IP Pin. In order to file the joint return I had to make the Wife the Primary (first name on the return) taxpayer on the joint return in order to e-file the return.
      Last edited by BOB W; 04-11-2020, 08:07 AM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

My software also has separate entries but it got rejected until I moved Wife to primary. Can I says I did everything correct, no. I'm not the smartest poster here that's why I don't post much here. But I do read and absorb what the best have to say....

I'm always impressed with the depth of some poster information shared. Very Impressed.
        Last edited by BOB W; 04-11-2020, 08:47 AM.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
          I have a client, victim of past ID theft, who has used an IP PIN for several years running.
          Every year a new number is received in the mail in Nov/Dec, and that number is later entered in the appropriate place on the tax return.
          Absolutely no problems, to include recent efiling of 2019 federal tax return.
          How/why did your client receive an IP PIN in the first place?? Are you in the "targeted" states? Did client possibly change addresses since filing the 2018 (non-ID PIN year?) tax return and not advise IRS of the change?
          I don't know how or my my clients received IP - PINs, neither states they had an issue with ID Thief, or recall receiving a notice from IRS. I am in one of the IP PIN issuing states (FL) so perhaps IRS included them in the IP-PIN delivery program, and they notice got lost.

Comment

Working...
          X