Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing Extensions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Filing Extensions

    We all have a handful of individual tax clients who ask us to file an extension every year and they come to us in September for the October 15 deadline.

    For those clients, should we be filing an extension on April 15 or can it be filed on July 15?

    #2
    I would file extensions NOW regardless of the July 15th automatic extension if the client is holding their breathe for a K-1 from a partnership or S Corp - which doesn't usually arrive until late August-mid-September - by that time it's too late to request a further extension.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

    Comment


      #3
      i already have an e-mail to my usual extension filers about that. I don't think they can file extension on 7/15. It is by 4/15 if they want 10/15. Let's see if there is any clarification.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

      Comment


        #4
        I am not awaiting a change to allow a 7/15 date to allow valid extensions, though I believe it could happen. I am sending them in now.

        Right now, NY still requires payment by 4/15 though the IRS payment is not due until 7/15. I will likely work with clients by phone to figure out how to pay by those dates if they remain in place.
        Doug

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by dtlee View Post
          I am not awaiting a change to allow a 7/15 date to allow valid extensions, though I believe it could happen. I am sending them in now.

          Right now, NY still requires payment by 4/15 though the IRS payment is not due until 7/15. I will likely work with clients by phone to figure out how to pay by those dates if they remain in place.
          I think that is the prudent way to deal with this issue. I am advising my MA taxpayers to pay with an extension if needed at least 80% of tax liability just in case our Gov. does not follow through what he promised earlier. Just too much confusion over it. I love that AICPA Chart that has all states listed and is frequently updated by them.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            I love that AICPA Chart that has all states listed and is frequently updated by them.
            Great resource and hopefully I won't get in trouble for linking to it here.
            Doug

            Comment


              #7
              Today, the IRS provided a lot of clarity to questions we've all had:

              https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-...ED9ZAF9C0boJCs

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                Today, the IRS provided a lot of clarity to questions we've all had:

                https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-...ED9ZAF9C0boJCs
                That is a great link and the specific answer this thread was discussing is:
                Q12. What if I am unable to file my 2019 income tax return that would have been due on April 15 by July 15, 2020?

                A12. If you are an individual, you can request an automatic extension to file your Federal income tax return if you can’t file by the July 15 deadline. The easiest and fastest way to request a filing extension is to electronically file Form 4868 through your tax professional, tax software, or using the Free File link on IRS.gov. Businesses, including trusts, must file Form 7004.

                You must request the automatic extension by July 15, 2020. If you properly estimate your 2019 tax liability using the information available to you and file an extension form by July 15, 2020, your tax return will be due on October 15, 2020. To avoid interest and penalties when filing your tax return after July 15, 2020, pay the tax you estimate as due with your extension request.
                Doug

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                  Today, the IRS provided a lot of clarity to questions we've all had:

                  https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-...ED9ZAF9C0boJCs
                  YES! IRA deadlines are also extended. Now just have to deal with the states......

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The AICPA document was updated a couple of hours ago and now contains a summary of the states at the start of it.
                    Doug

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by dtlee View Post
                      The AICPA document was updated a couple of hours ago and now contains a summary of the states at the start of it.
                      I got the chart, but didn't see any summary at the beginning.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        For those clients, should we be filing an extension on April 15 or can it be filed on July 15?
                        I believe IRS has clarified that you could file extension on 7/15 to move it up to 10/15. I am still filing extensions on 4/15 for those clients that stretch it to 10/15 in normal years!
                        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Burke View Post

                          I got the chart, but didn't see any summary at the beginning.
                          It begins on the first page where it says, "Summary of States Filing Relief." If you downloaded it a couple of days ago, it did not have it. It has been updated 2 or 3 times a day this week.
                          Doug

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X