Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how are you handling clients in light of the virus ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are just taking drop offs (put in our drop box) and clients who send us documents either via snail mail or secure web portal. No face to face sit down appointments. As far as signing and paying us, we do allow clients to make appointments to sign and pick up their copies. We have many older clients and many dont do the internet. So remote signing is not an option. But that may change soon for our protection. Was curious as to what others are doing ? Crazy times !!!

Some clients are choosing mail instead of picking up or dropping off. I personally am not doing much different other than cleaning the table and doorknobs a little more often.
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

With the deadline just today being extended to July 15th. We just decided to close the doors to the public until crap settles. As mentioned above we will continue with drop offs and electronically sent documents. But zero face to face interactions. Our local Ed Jones and other financial offices have closed and clients are having a heck of a time getting statements. But thank goodness they officially changed the deadline. Be safe everyone !!!

Comment

Based on what the health authorities are saying our office is closed and not accepting clients until further notice. We all are working remotely as per health authorities recommendations.

When dentists & doctors offices are closed except for emergencies that says enough for what we decided. So this is a "no brainer" for us.

Will accept documents via SECURED electronic submission only. No e-mailing of personal data accepted
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-20-2020, 12:33 PM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

CCH's FileShare/mail/UPS/FedEx/mail slot in front door. Discuss via email (preferred so I have a copy to save electronically) &/or telephone. Signatures and return delivery via CCH's eSign or FileShare when NY is involved. I'll mail folders later when it's safe to go to the PO. Wash hands after handling documents that were dropped off. Trying to eat right, and with the extended filing deadline will get more sleep.

Comment

Oh hell yes to more sleep. Been steaming alot of veggies here. Hot Totties too !!

Comment

I was mostly doing drop off/pickup and a few snail mail. But with today's filing deadline announcement I am going to see how next week goes and then make a decision. If in person appointments are going to slow down, I may open one or two day a week for office appointments and work from home the rest. Let's say everything is up in the air until the dust settles!

BTW I have gotten a lot of calls from balance due folks wanting to cancel their ACH Debits on 4/15. How are you guys handling those calls?
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

The CLIENT has to call.

From the IRS site: Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.

Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.

Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Comment

The Senior Citizens Centers in our area have volunteers that do income taxes for seniors (free of charge) and those have shut down. Been bombarded with call form effected seniors. Unfortunately we dont want anymore clients and have to turn them away. Keep safe everyone !!!

Comment

With surgical gloves and masks (we actually some), (The "surgical" or medical Masks don't really protect us, but protect the client according to my nursing and other health care professional clients and spouse.)

Seriously, we increased the client spacing from the preparer desks, are wiping down counters, door handles, etc. more frequently, encouraging drop offs but handle those client returns needing to be completed for one reason or another (using loans, student loans, that sort of thing). We have a preparer with serious medical issues now working from his home to minimize his exposure to things.

Personally, I am not in favor of total drop offs since things get lost, even as we scan everything initially.

But we do what we must.

Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Personally, I am not in favor of total drop offs since things get lost, even as we scan everything initially.
                      That is exactly what I had in mind when I first started drop off service before this year's emergency. So to protect us I have an inventory sheet that gets completed as soon as we handle the envelope. We know from current clients what we must see in general so that gets inventoried first. If any document that should be in there is missing a call is made within 24 hours to find out why. Then we add any additional new documents.

After we scan the documents we match that to the inventory sheet. Believe me this has saved my bacon when part time help misfiled or forgot to pick up a document from the scanner hopper.

BTW many of my clients put in their envelope documents that we don't need for tax prep. I staple all those documents separately and there is an index card stuck on top "NOT REQUIRED FOR RETURN PREPARATION". Generally these are credit card/bank statements, household repair bills (not related to rental activity) etc.
                      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I'm doing what you are doing, Twin Turbo. I have a drop-box, and I have a portal. I'm closed and helping people via email/phone calls for now, and I am going to take off and go do carpentry to make extra money. Never thought I would be insulating and sheetrocking in March because my tax office is doing almost no business! I actually am lucky to have carpentry work this time of year that I normally would not even have as an option. One of my good friends (who still has a job and an income) has been renovating his multi-unit apartment building and needs the work done. It will be weird doing taxes in July for people who would have normally filed months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenKeelTax View Post
                          I'm doing what you are doing, Twin Turbo. I have a drop-box, and I have a portal. I'm closed and helping people via email/phone calls for now, and I am going to take off and go do carpentry to make extra money. Never thought I would be insulating and sheetrocking in March because my tax office is doing almost no business! I actually am lucky to have carpentry work this time of year that I normally would not even have as an option. One of my good friends (who still has a job and an income) has been renovating his multi-unit apartment building and needs the work done. It will be weird doing taxes in July for people who would have normally filed months ago.
                          I do woodworking as a hobby. Just finished my first electric guitar before tax season hit. Came out pretty good. Well I rushed the painting process. I see all the imperfections. But it plays nice. Good to have something to do and or fall back on. Back on subject, as of tonight we are shutting down all in person client pickups. Our state is implementing a closure of nonessential businesses. And we are non essential IMHO But will still do remote crap.

Comment

All my clients are still here, the usual number are in already and the usual number already requesting extensions.. If yours are coming in more slowly, contact them. Tell them the filing and payment deadlines were postponed but NOT the deadline for IRAs, certain elections, etc., and that the sooner they file, the sooner they'll get refunds. If you're not busy, offer a % discount for files dropped off by 15 April or a certain date. Maybe a lesser % a month later. Put the word out that you're available to file 2018 returns for those wanting to qualify for advance checks. Offer a % discount for small businesses (schedules C) that need the financial help now, and you will gain some long-term clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin Turbo Z View Post

I do woodworking as a hobby. Just finished my first electric guitar before tax season hit. Came out pretty good. Well I rushed the painting process. I see all the imperfections. But it plays nice. Good to have something to do and or fall back on. Back on subject, as of tonight we are shutting down all in person client pickups. Our state is implementing a closure of nonessential businesses. And we are non essential IMHO But will still do remote crap.
                              That's awesome you made a guitar. I wonder if we could be considered essential as tax businesses? I suppose each state would vary that definition, but I just had a client call me wanting to finish a return because they need the refund money. Right now in Maine there is not a mandatory lockdown of all businesses yet, but I see the writing on the wall as more and more states do shut down. I'll still help anyone who needs a refund ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X