Pub 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pub 17

I used the word "bible" in my original post as that was the name given to the Pub 17 by
    several Tax Auditors at the time. This was prior to 1984 when the tax laws were much
    simpler. In fact the Pub 17 was virutally the ONLY tax resource material used by most
    Tax Auditors and they did not refer even to it very often. I helped train about 6 Tax Auditors
    and 4 IRS Agents and I constantly tried to encourage them to do more research using our
    8 or 10 volume CCH tax source and other material in our library. But the Tax Auditors
    were involved mostly in simple tax issues such as dependents and itemized deductions
    and they learned the rules for these areas quickly and rarely even looked at the Pub 17.
    Tax Auditors were pressured to produce and most quit after a few years due to the heavy
    workload. IRS expected them to perform 6 audits (examinations) every day and answer
    perhaps 50 telephone calls a day and deal with 30 walk-ins a day regarding tax questions.
    It was rare for a Tax Auditor to stay to retire. Considering that each audit (examination)
    required perhaps 20 minutes of paperwork, there was no time left to do any research as
    well as interview the taxpayer.
    Last edited by dyne; 09-09-2006, 08:43 AM.

Comment

sorry, I was wrong

>>they did not refer even to it very often<<

Okay, I'm sorry, I was wrong. That DOES sound like a "bible."

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA
        The problem with putting everything away is that it is also out of sight. Out of sight can turn into forgotten faster than a firing synapse.
        I have a problem...I think...I am one of those who can't function if everything isn't in its proper place. I have to have my pens lined up parallel to my adding machine...the tape dispenser goes on the right side of the adding machine, the stapler on the left, with pens in between.

The tax file for the client goes on the left side of the desk, documentation already entered goes on the far left corner, stuff not yet entered goes on the right...

I can't function unless everything is neat and in its place. I get an allergic reaction to a "mess."

That is why my wife and I could never share the same office. I don't think I've been able to set foot in her office for over 10 years now....

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees
          I have a problem...I think...I am one of those who can't function if everything isn't in its proper place. I have to have my pens lined up parallel to my adding machine...the tape dispenser goes on the right side of the adding machine, the stapler on the left, with pens in between.
          ...I can't function unless everything is neat and in its place. I get an allergic reaction to a "mess."....
          I am the same. I learned on a real job that when confused, start putting everything in its proper place, then all you are left with is the work at hand and everything starts getting sharper. I also learned from S. Holmes that when you eliminate all the extraneous the answer is in front of you no matter how bazaar that answer may seem. Or something like that.

But I experimented with putting work into files, boxes, drawers, out of sight. A real problem. I was so thoroughly unconfused I did something fun instead and completely forgot about my work. I’ve discovered that what I really like to do is figure out a better way to do stuff but not to actually do the work.

When you think about it, what a nice job we have when most of the year can be spent on experimenting with how to do our jobs better. That is not the definition of a grind
          JG

Comment

Working...
          X