Resident aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident aliens

Man has social security number to work, wife and child have itins, but do not live in us, live in mexico. How does he file?

What country is "man" a citizen?
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I think you are looking at either MFS or MFJ with a non-resident alien spouse. However a quick check in TTB also found this: "Nonresident alien spouse. A taxpayer is considered unmarried for HOH filing status purposes if his or her spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and the taxpayer does not elect to treat the nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, the spouse is not a qualifying person for HOH purposes. The taxpayer must have another qualifying person and meet the other tests to be eligible to file as Head of Household."

I don't work with 1040-NR filers, so these are the only hints I can give.

[edit] The thread title is "resident alien", so I assumed the taxpayer ("man") is a U.S. resident alien, probably a green card holder. OP can confirm or provide more info.
      Last edited by Rapid Robert; 03-08-2020, 10:09 AM.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

No EITC, CTC or ODC for our man and he cant file as single. Yikes

If you’re a low- to moderate-income worker, find out if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and how much your credit is worth.

"Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

Comment

Working...
        X