Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Donation of a travel trailer to charatable organization 1098-c?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donation of a travel trailer to charatable organization 1098-c?

I have a client that said he donated a travel trailer to a local charity here in town. Yes, the charity is a qualified charitable organization. He say's he purchased it in 2018 and paid $5K and FMV is $4K.
    He called me during the summer about it and I told him he would need to have them give him a 1098-C. Then he left me a message saying he had a form 8232 that he filled out and a 1098-C that he wanted me to look over. So I called him and said you don't fill out anything. That the organization is responsible for filling out the proper paper work and that they have requirements to follow. And at that time, I called the organization and they had not had a travel trailer donated yet. Now that tax season is here.... what are the requirements....what should he receive from the charitable organization for the travel trailer he donated. He said they sold it.
    Since it is a travel trailer and not something you drive like a car or boat or an airplane, does it go on a 1098-C?
    Or because it is not the above that he needs a written acknowledgement letter because it is over $250? Does it matter if they sold it?
    Thanks... I just want to have the proper documentation. Doing my due dilligence here. So what do I tell him I NEED?

I don't know what a "travel trailer" is - but if it's a motor vehicle that requires registration with DMV, then the donee organization is required to provide that statement 1098-C to the donor within a certain prescribed time (I believe 30 days) after the donation was received. AND, if it's a motor vehicle, then how did he transfer title without signing over the title certificate? And this donation is required to be reported on Form 8283 as an attachment to Schedule A with the details. If it's a motor vehicle - yes it matters - because the organization needs to send the donor what it was sold for - if it was sold.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Ok. to clarify what a travel trailer is..... its a camping trailer, an RV that you pull behind your truck to go camping. So it does not have a motor. But yes you have to register it with the DMV. That is where the confusion comes into whether or not the 1098-C is required. I thought it would be on a 1098-C because you have a title to it and required to be registered with DMV for licensing etc. However, you don't drive it like you do a vehicle, boat or airplane.

Comment

1098-C is specifically for a motor vehicle, so not required for a travel trailer.

Duke- the term RV encompasses everything from a million dollar Class A motorcoach to a pop up trailer selling for a few thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404

I've never encountered anyone calling a pop-up trailer a "recreational vehicle."
          Around here, we generally call them. . ."camping trailers."
          Also, those things generally don't move about independently on their own and/or don't have an engine.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post
            Or because it is not the above that he needs a written acknowledgement letter because it is over $250? Does it matter if they sold it?
            Thanks... I just want to have the proper documentation. Doing my due dilligence here. So what do I tell him I NEED?
            Yes, he will need a receipt or written acknowledgement that it was received by the organization and when. If they sold it for less than $4K, then he is going to have a hard time establishing FMV for that amount.

Comment

Working...
            X