Property give to son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property give to son

My client gave his property to son. Is this subject to give tax. If so, how is bases determined.

File a gift tax return for your client. The son's basis is the same as your client's basis was immediately before the gift.

Comment

Lion is correct. Also make sure if it was an outright gift or a gift with conditions. I have seen many gifts with conditions like a life estate or other stipulations. It gets complicated.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Basis for gifts can be wonky. If the asset has decreased in value (FMV < Donor's adjusted basis) then it creates what I call "the neutral zone". You get two basis amounts, one for calculating gains, one for calculating losses. See IRS Pub 551, page 9:

Rick

Comment

We don't know whether it's a gift that requires a gift tax return due to being under the annual threshhold, or whether it's real property or automobile that requires legal title transfer. In any event "gift tax return' is really a misconception because in almost all cases where I've seen gift tax returns filed, it's only a reporting of the valuations involved, and reduction of lifetime exclusion - almost never a tax being paid upon the filing.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Working...
          X