QBI- Amended Tax Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QBI- Amended Tax Return

I got a new client, who filed his tax return on turbo tax for 2018 and owns a rental property. He took QBI deduction on the rental property for 2018 but didn't meet the requirements to be eligible for QBI.
    My question is can I amend his 2018 tax return and file future years correctly or a return with rental QBI cannot be amended and he is stuck ? Thanks

Almost any return can be amended. But, are you sure he didn't meet the requirements to be eligible for QBI?

Comment

I thought their was a provision with 199A that once you claim the rental property as used in trade or business and claim QBI on the rental property, you cannot amend the tax return to revert back that it was not eligible for QBI. Any thoughts?

Comment

You may be thinking about stating if the rental rises to a level of a trade or business, then you cannot change it for future years unless facts change. I believe you can still amend if an error was made

Comment

Can it still be amended for 2018, since taxpayer prepared their own tax return without understanding if the rental property qualified for 199A deduction, since it was the first year 199A implementation.

Comment

Working...
          X