Retirement contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retirement contributions

I have a client who is under 50 and whose income for 2019 is between 120,000-137,000. She has the maximum deducted for her 401K. Is she able to contribute to a Roth IRA? I know maximum contribution is $6,000.00 and there is also also a phase out due to her income.
    Should she wait and make her contribution before April 15. Her investment guy from work could not advise her what to do

I would have her wait until you calculate her return. That way you can tell her the max she can contribute due to phaseouts.

Comment

Saw a worksheet on 13-12 of the 2019 Tax Book.

Comment

Because of the MAGI phaseout rules, it is prudent to tell your client to wait and get the tax return completed first. For a single taxpayer the phaseout begins $122K to $137K.

I have noticed that financial product salespeople really don't pay attention to the phaseout rules most of the time.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Your client could make what is known as a back door ROTH. You can google it to read about it. Basically you make the full $6000 to a traditional IRA, then roll it over to a ROTH. You are only allowed to do this once a year

Comment

Originally posted by terryats View Post
            Your client could make what is known as a back door ROTH. You can google it to read about it. Basically you make the full $6000 to a traditional IRA, then roll it over to a ROTH. You are only allowed to do this once a year
            Back door only works if there is no other amounts in deductible IRA's.

Comment

That is why I advised him to look up backdoor ROTH's.

Comment

Originally posted by terryats View Post
                That is why I advised him to look up backdoor ROTH's.
                Unfortunately, most of the articles you get by googling them do not point this out.

Comment

here is a good article from the balance, that explains the rules in a straight forward manner with examples, but I would would still advise studying the official IRS rules.

Comment

You could do a backdoor Roth because the deductible amount of a traditional IRA will be zero. Client made over 74k and is covered by a pension plan at work. I don't understand why there are income limits on Roth IRA's with this workaround? Aren't taxes so much fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by kkuch View Post
                      You could do a backdoor Roth because the deductible amount of a traditional IRA will be zero. Client made over 74k and is covered by a pension plan at work. I don't understand why there are income limits on Roth IRA's with this workaround? Aren't taxes so much fun!!
                      If there is other money in a deductible IRA the "backdoor" would need to be prorated. I believe the intent of Roth legislation was to limit contributions for higher income people. Like so many laws people find a way to legally get around the intent.

Comment

Working...
                      X