Converted residence sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted residence sold

Anybody have a worksheet for selling a residence that was converted to a rental and sold after the 5yrs have passed?

Form 4797...

Comment

When it was converted to a rental, was the Fair Market Value MORE than the Basis at that time? If so, it is just a sale of a rental (Form 4797). Nothing special, and you don't need to take into account that it previously a personal residence.

If the Fair Market Value was LESS than the Basis when it was converted to a rental, that could make it more complicated. If that is the case, we'll need the details in order to correctly guide you.

Comment

Now have some #'s. Cost 83k FMV at conv 94k dep taken 21k sold for 51k. I figure a tax loss. Been rented since 2009 and in a distressed region.

Comment

With those numbers, looks like an $11,000 loss. But don't forget to factor in any improvements that may have been made.

Comment

Looks like you have a section 1231 loss, so you will be able to deduct the loss from other income. Just fill out the 4797 as Lion replied.

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
              Now have some #'s. Cost 83k FMV at conv 94k dep taken 21k sold for 51k. I figure a tax loss. Been rented since 2009 and in a distressed region.
              Was the sale an arms length transaction? I have had many such clients over the years and when I see sales price significantly below market value I inquire and 9 out of 10 times they are selling to a family member.
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
              X