Work in lieu of rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work in lieu of rent

Late new client. I am confident this one has been answered many many times. But I can't find quickly.

2014, Tp inherited a parent's home and a rental. TP rented both via property manager. The client performed all maintenance, repairs, etc. 2016 client quit w2 job (electrician) to go full time as a rental property/investor. 2018 client agreed to let renters in rental perform "work" in lieu of rent for January/February 2018. Renters then moved out in March 2018. The client began extensive permitting the rehabilitation process of rental for sale in September. property sold in September 2019. No rental income cash flow in 2018 or 2019. TP does have other properties. I believe the client should aggregate and be "Professional" R.e. in 2018 based on all facts and circumstances. How to or do I report the value of "work" performed by renters in Janaury\February in lieu of rent, for 2018? Does this specific property then cause any problems with aggregation?

Feel free to point me to any resource you wish. Thank you.
    Treasur2

Barter. Your client exchanged Rental Income for the deduction of Repairs or other work on the property. He declares both the income and the deductions.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasur2 View Post
      Late new client. I am confident this one has been answered many many times. But I can't find quickly.

Feel free to point me to any resource you wish. Thank you.
      Here is a “quick” find:

Find out what and when income is taxable and nontaxable, including employee wages, fringe benefits, barter income and royalties.

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
      X