Property in a foreign country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property in a foreign country?

My client inherited property in Greece. In 2018 she traveled to Greece to make arrangements for the properties to be rented. She paid significant property taxes and received a statement of earnings. We are reporting the income as rental income and her taxes paid to a foreign country on form 1116. Here's my question: Am I correct using line 2 on form 1116 to report her expenses? She made a pretty bare bones trip, no unusual or extravagant charges. She also incurred attorney fees in USA and Greece. If this were not a long time client I would probably have passed on this one, but she's a second gen client usually pretty easy to prepare.....Thanks for your help and comments!

Use schedule E but make sure to depreciate the building over 40 years. You may also have an FBAR if client is depositing rents in a Greek account. Other issues may arise depending on how the property is held (if not held as an individual)
    "Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
      Use schedule E but make sure to depreciate the building over 40 years.
      It changed to 30 years for Residential Rental Property that was placed in service after 2017 (Nonresidential is still 40 years).

Comment

Also watch for form 3520 if the inherited value was more than $100,000.

Comment

Working...
        X