exempt organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exempt organization

church needs an IRS paper of some sort to show the church is 501c3, which it is. Can't seem to find the link to be able to print that they are able to accept contributions. Everything I look at isn't what it used to look like, and I keep going back where I started from.

Try this link - https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

tried, didn't work

Comment

I don't think that a church has to have any proof. They file no income tax returns. I would just provide a letter with the required "...no goods or services..."
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Jiggers is right. Churches are automatically classified as 501(c)(3) organizations, but they are required to have an EIN, whether or not they have employees. They don't need a document from the IRS unless you are talking about that confirmation letter. There are many samples of contribution receipts online which have the IRS required wording.

Comment

The original poster didn't specifically state what the purpose of the exemption letter was for.
            It may not pertain to donation documentation to third parties - but may pertain to specific purchases it makes for what would otherwise be taxable goods and services.

Comment

Don't entities apply for sales tax exemptions in the state in which they are situated? She mentioned "IRS" letter. If that is the case, maybe the state is looking for their EIN.
              Last edited by Burke; 09-09-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Yes - the sales tax exemption for a tax exempt entity is determined on a state-by-state basis. For example NYS recognizes only 501(c)(3) entities for sales tax exemption.
                It could be that the request is being made to show the state that it has an official communication from IRS acknowledging 501(c)(3) status in order to establish grounds for granting a sales tax exemption.
                But I'm not stating that that was the purpose for the request.

Comment

I've tried different links several times. Our parochial school is eligible for some an IRS letter or form or something to set up a google classroom. They say the MO exemption isn't good enough.
                  I used to be able to find our church on a link that showed our status and that the church was able to accept contributions. the apps.irs.gov - the church didn't come up with the name or the EIN

Comment

Here is some contact information - a listing of IRS Chief Counsel contacts - for 501(c)(3) entities for Churches and Religious Organizations that you can call
                    202-317-4086, 202-317-4541, 202-317-5800

Comment

Working...
                    X