Identity Theft Affidavit-Form 14039

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity Theft Affidavit-Form 14039

If a client has used in IP PIN in a prior tax year (prior to becoming my client) and is issued a new IP PIN each year from Form CP01A, is it a requirement to submit Form 14039 to IRS even if the proper IP PIN has been noted on the current year's tax return?
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

No Just put in Pin #

Comment

In a number of states now, you can get an IP PIN just by asking, you don't need to experience an ID theft first. I assume the program will be rolled out by the IRS nationwide soon.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Thanks- that's what I thought - but was just checking.

Comment

BUT don't forget to tell the client to file a change of address with the IRS if they move. Kind of defeats the purpose if a stranger ends up with your PIN. If you move before the IP was sent in Jan and cannot retrieve it electronically your client may have to file a paper return: https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-f...ve-your-ip-pin
          "Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

Comment

Some reference info:

Learn what to do if you're a victim of tax identity theft and how to reduce your risk.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I file the 14039 in the year the identity theft is discovered. For all subsequent years, I just put the PIN on the return. There have been no issues with filing it this way.

Comment

The IRS answers this exact question at their web site: "Notice CP01A recipients don't need to file a Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit (pdf), unless you as a recipient experience an identity theft incident after you received a notice CP01A."
                "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I have e-filed the client's tax returns and were e-file accepted with the IP-PIN number sent by IRS - thanks to all who posted.

Comment

Working...
                  X