Technical Termination under the new TCJA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical Termination under the new TCJA

I see now that a change in over 50% ownership in a partnership was considered a technical termination for filing purposes, has change that no termination filing is required. So, a regular return would be filed at the end of that tax year, is that correct? Also, could you do a voluntary technical termination, for the reason of preparing a clean return for the old partner? Is that making more work/trouble than it's worth?
    Thank you for any help insight.

If they left the partnership entirely the tax year ends on that date. If interest remains the tax year does not end.

Unless the voluntary termination took place before 12/31/17 I doubt it:

"The TCJA eliminated the rule for technical terminations for partnerships or entities treated as partnerships for tax years beginning after December 31, 2017. So, a partnership may now only terminate by cessation of partnership activities and liquidation, or when the partnership’s business activities no longer continue in partnership form."

"Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

Comment

If a partner's interest terminates due to withdrawal or cessation of partnership activity on 6/15/18, then you do two partnership returns for that year, assuming there were more than 2 partners. One 1065 with K-1's for all partners up to that date (1/1/18 to 6/15/18), and one 1065 and K-1's for the remainder of the year for all remaining partners, (6/16/18 to 12/31/18.) How many partners were there? If only 2, is another party buying the partner #1's interest? If not, it should be terminated entirely and Partner #2 can continue as a Schedule C for the remainder of the year.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, thanks everyone! You both answered my questions, and I was on the right track.

Comment

Working...
        X