No announcement yet.

Gift Tax and Splitting with Spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please read TTB explanations cited above. TTB explains things well.

Comment

It would be appropriate to ask TP if her brother had outstanding medical bills or tuition, if so, the gift tax issue is negated. Maybe brother has a tuition expenses for his child. In that case sister could also fund a 529 with $75k, spread it over five years. Her spouse could then gift the remaining 15K or she could finagle a combination of any of the above.
      "Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

Comment

I don't get it - what's the big deal about filing a 709 form? It's simple to do - does everything right for the taxpayer. Ruth could have completed the form(s) in less time than she spent reading all these posts.

BTW, funding a 529 plan with $75K still requires filing a Form 709.

Comment

There is no big deal about doing the form return at all !!!!!!! Never said there was. I stated that I am suggesting to her to just pay her brother the $100K and be done with it. Then the return is going to be done. I wasn't going to respond anymore, but as posters wrote, I figured I would respond out of courtesy. AMEN!!!!

Comment

Ruth said: "I thought an option could be: she and her spouse (if he agrees to split) could give $15K each to her brother and his spouse in 2019 (total equals $60K). Then give $10K each in 2020 (total equals $40K). I didn't think she would have to do a return, but I may be wrong because of the splitting."

You understand it correctly. If both husband and wife agree to give the money away they can give a married couple a total of $60,000 made out to the recipient and their spouse and not have to file a gift tax return. It is the same as give 4 checks for $15,000.

Dusty

Comment

Ruth kinda combined two things. 1.) "If she and her spouse could give $15K each..." No splitting required if EACH gives $15K. No gift tax return. 2.) "If he agrees to split." That implies that she gives $30K from her account, and he agrees to split. Two gift tax returns required to split her $30K gift into two $15K gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                Ruth kinda combined two things. 1.) "If she and her spouse could give $15K each..." No splitting required if EACH gives $15K. No gift tax return. 2.) "If he agrees to split." That implies that she gives $30K from her account, and he agrees to split. Two gift tax returns required to split her $30K gift into two $15K gifts.
                Well summarized. At this point and earlier reply posts refer others to review The Tax Book section for “gifts” and/or applicable IRS code.

Need to be careful of reply posts not providing a reference.

This post can now be archived since Original Poster made a final decision.
                Last edited by TAXNJ; 07-12-2019, 12:09 PM.
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                X