Single S-Corp owner and solo 401(k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single S-Corp owner and solo 401(k)

I might be missing something as I look at the benefits of a contribution to a solo 401(k)....

In December, the 62 year old S-Corp owner took a bonus payroll check for the max contribution to his solo 401(k) of $24.500. This increased the S-Corp expenses and lowered the income on his K-1. With a combined Fed and State tax rate of 33% he saved about $8k. OK so far.

But the 15.3% combined EE & ER SS/Med payroll taxes which have to be paid on the $24,500 equals just short of $4k. So his net savings is $4k (or about 17% of the $24,500).

If his tax rate in retirement (when he takes distributions) is greater than 17% he really doesn't have a benefit.

Am I missing something?

I know he might have a benefit via a higher SS check since he has now paid more into the system (but maybe not if this is not one of his 35 highest earning years).

You're double counting the 7.65% that's already included in the $24,500.

Tax savings is one reason for contributing to a retirement plan. Saving for retirement is the main reason. What are your client's goals?

Comment

The gross check was for $24,500 plus the ee 7.65%.

His goal was to reduce his taxes.

Comment

You don't seem to be taking the employer (25% of compensation) contribution to the SoloK as part of the tax reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
          But the 15.3% combined EE & ER SS/Med payroll taxes which have to be paid on the $24,500 equals just short of $4k. So his net savings is $4k (or about 17% of the $24,500)
          Assuming the $24,500 is part of the "reasonable compensation" that he is required to take, the $4,000 in payroll taxes would be paid even if he did not contribute to a 401k. So that is the same either way, and you can't be subtracting that from the INCOME tax 'savings'.

For example, if he took $24,500 of payroll and bought a car, he is paying $4000 in Social Security and Medicare tax plus the $8000 of income taxes (for a total of $12,000 of taxes). If he takes $24,500 and contributes it to a 401k, he is paying $4000 in Social Security and Medicare taxes and $0 of income tax. So the 'net' savings is $8,000.

Comment

Working...
          X