Anyone for some Friday math fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone for some Friday math fun?

Short version of Pub 15 released for withholding based on new W4. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/p15t--dft.pdf

Calculate withholding for the following taxpayers with $1,000 weekly paychecks. Assume standard deduction, no credits, and no other income.
    Married with box checked
    Married without box checked
    Single

Bonus for balance due/refund based on these - assume for married they both are paid 1,000 a week.

Extra bonus for what 2019 withholding would be using S1, M0, and M1.

I am a sucker for quizzes.

Married with the box checked: $88 per week
    Married without the box checked: $85 per week
    Single: $125 per week

After that the instructions had me going in circles and nothing made sense.

Comment

I see how you got your answers, 2 of them are incorrect, 1 answer is very close, may be due to rounding if you used the calculation method.

Second part of quiz was asking what would be their total tax when filing 1040. Hint: for MFJ 104,000 AGI tax would be 9,229 and single at 52K AGI tax would be 4,615. Question was will their withholding be enough to cover liability and if so, how much will refund be?

Third part was to calculate current withholding based on 2019 Pub 15.

Comment

Teacher, teacher, I should get 90% for participation. 26 others have looked at the quiz and decide NOT to participate,

Comment

Ha, ha! The other 26 are probably waiting for their software to tell them.

Comment

MFJ with box is $90 (total $9.360)
            MFJ w/out box is $56 (total $5,824)
            Single is $88 (total $4,576)

So both the MFJ w/box and single will come out close to even, the MFJ w/out the box will be severely under withheld. However, it would be pretty dumb to not check the box for 2 jobs if you have two jobs in the household.

I didn't find the instructions too complicated (assuming my answers match yours and we both think we are right). Remember too, the IRS instruction and withholding has to work for someone who does NOT file a new W-4, so it's pretty challenging to accommodate both old and new forms in the same calculation.

I didn't do your 3rd bonus question.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

[QUOTE=Rapid Robert;n However, it would be pretty dumb to not check the box for 2 jobs if you have two jobs in the household.

[/QUOTE]

That check box will be very easy to miss checking. How many people will realize the huge implications of checking it?

Comment

Here's another bonus question. TP currently claims S0. How would they complete new W4 to generate the same withholding?

Comment

Originally posted by jmcdtax View Post
                  Teacher, teacher, I should get 90% for participation. 26 others have looked at the quiz and decide NOT to participate,
                  Consider using:

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                    Oh, yes, let's just perpetuate the dumbing down of society where people don't think but rely on computers to tell them what to do whether they understand the calculations behind the scene or not.

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post

Oh, yes, let's just dumbing down of society where people don't think but rely on computers to tell them what to do whether they understand the calculations behind the scene or not.
                      When you go back to not using computers to do tax returns then your comment will hold true. No one is “....dumbing down of society where people don't think....” rather using tools available to them. That is a silly comment you gave. Give society more credit. There are many happy and smart people with different views.
                      Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-08-2019, 01:31 PM.
                      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I hope the purpose of starting this thread was to encourage people who have suggestions on the new forms to provide them to the IRS, since the whole point is that they are asking for feedback. Remember, they already backed off on the new form 2019, so it's not like they're trying to ram something down the taxpayer's throat.

I personally don't know what else they can do other than what they are doing -- providing multiple tools, so that those taxpayers who care can use the best tool available, and those who don't care can just go past this step as painlessly as possible. It's not like the existing W-4 does such a great job, but it was something people were used to for many years. With the new temporary tax law changes, I for one agree that something different was needed. It's just a shame that the people who benefited the least from the new tax law are the ones who probably have to do the most extra work just to stay even.
                        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post

When you go back to not using computers to do tax returns then your comment will hold true. No one is “....dumbing down of society where people don't think....” rather using tools available to them. That is a silly comment you gave. Give society more credit. There are many happy and smart people with different views.
                          There is a big difference between using computers as an aid and using them to replace critical thinking and analysis. The calculator you linked has absolutely nothing to do with the revised W4 and for current year calculation has a major shortcoming in giving too much weight to one input variable. Those of us that understand how it comes up with the final recommendation will easily see this shortcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
                            I hope the purpose of starting this thread was to encourage people who have suggestions on the new forms to provide them to the IRS, since the whole point is that they are asking for feedback. Remember, they already backed off on the new form 2019, so it's not like they're trying to ram something down the taxpayer's throat.

I personally don't know what else they can do other than what they are doing -- providing multiple tools, so that those taxpayers who care can use the best tool available, and those who don't care can just go past this step as painlessly as possible. It's not like the existing W-4 does such a great job, but it was something people were used to for many years. With the new temporary tax law changes, I for one agree that something different was needed. It's just a shame that the people who benefited the least from the new tax law are the ones who probably have to do the most extra work just to stay even.
                            Actually, the purpose of post was to encourage tax pros to understand how the new form and tables will affect withholding differently.

Comment

If my clients want help with more accurate withholding and estimates, I don't rely at all on the withholding tables. I figure out where their current withholding, whatever it is, puts them at the end of the year, and then I suggest adjustments ONLY to the "additional amount per pay period" number, I do not tell them to change anything else on the W-4, except maybe once at the first pay period of the new year (i.e. no changes mid year, only "additional amount per pay period"). Or, if they don't want to pay me for that analysis, then I just tell them their effective tax rate the prior year (usually between 10-25% for these clients), and then look at their most recent paystub, and see if the withholding so far is at least that much (percent) of their taxable gross.

The reason I mentioned suggestions to the IRS on the form is that you (kathyc2) said "the box is easy to overlook". So maybe they need to more emphatically highlight the box on the form, which they could do with different font, more white space, more of a warning, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X