Paasive Carryover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paasive Carryover

I have a situation where, for example, I have $100,00 passive carryover loss which accumulated from losses from a rental partnership. The partnership (buildings) was sold and there is a $40,000 capital gain reflected on the K-! which used up $40,00 of the loss carryover. Is the remaining $60,000 loss or remain to still be used against passive losses in the future? If it were on a schedule E I would be able to deduct it all since the buildings were sold. How do I handle it in this situation. I'm using a program and it didn't make that adjustment.

Have you looked at The Tax Book 7-8
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Was the partnership dissolved?

Comment

kathyc2 - I apologize for the misspelling and inconsistencies with the numbers. s/b 40,000 and 100,000. Yes and partnership is dissolved and B/L zeroed out. Capital accounts were -110,000.

TAXNJ - I don't know what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by S&D Associates View Post
          kathyc2 - I apologize for the misspelling and inconsistencies with the numbers. s/b 40,000 and 100,000. Yes and partnership is dissolved and B/L zeroed out. Capital accounts were -110,000.

TAXNJ - I don't know what that is.
          Do you have The Tax Book?

if so look at tab 12 in addition to 7-8
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

kathyc2 - I would like to hear your answer. Thank you.

Comment

kathyc2- I would like to hear your answer. Thank you.

Comment

Your software should have something similar to K1 worksheet where you indicate that partnership interest was disposed. That will release the passive losses.

Comment

kathyc2

Thank you I found the worksheet. Would you tell me what happens to the negative Capital Account Balances at dissolution? No distributions were ever taken since the partnership operated at a loss for all years.

Comment

Originally posted by S&D Associates View Post
                    kathyc2

No distributions were ever taken since the partnership operated at a loss for all years.
                    If the property was sold and balance sheet accounts closed out what happened to the cash received if not distributed to shareholders? Capital accounts may not be the same thing as basis. Sorry, but I think you are in over your head on this and asking more from a public forum than you should expect to receive.

Comment

kathyc2

The cash was received from the capital gain from the sale and reported on the k-1, which is reported on the personal return.

Comment

Working...
                      X