Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are changes coming in rmd beginning date ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are changes coming in rmd beginning date ?

Earlier this year, I recall reading that a possible change to the RMD beginning date was being considered by congress.
    I.E. moving the RMD beginning date from age 70 & 1/2 to a later age for IRA's and other such qualified plans.
    Anybody know anything on the status of this proposal ?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...verview=closed

Comment

You may be thinking of QLAC Qualified Longevity Annuity Contract. A person can invest a maximum of $130,000 or 25% of an IRA/year in a QLAC and defer RMD from that part of the investment up to age 85. Any remaining amount in the IRA would be subject to RMD at age 70.5. There are pros and cons. One thing to consider can you afford to defer part of your RMD to a later age. Will you live long enough? The taxes collected by the IRS can be deferred but will eventually have to be paid.

Comment

No, my comment was concerning possible changes to the RMD beginning date & had nothing to do with QLAC's

Comment

Above link covers the pending bill and the last action on it. It proposed changing the RMD beginning date of 70 1/2 to age 72. But there are a host of other changes involving other things like 401k investment maximums and IRA contributions based on earnings past age 70. The post regarding QLAC's is interesting.

Comment

Working...
          X