Legal fees on a settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal fees on a settlement

My client received a settlement from a stock broker, issued to them a 1099 and stated it was reimbursement of premiums. The client never took the investment expense deduction on the schedule a in the past. We are obviously reporting the 1099 as other income. My question is, can we net the income with the legal fees that the client incurred to receive the settlement?

Premiums/Stock Broker? A stockbroker doesn't sell insurance.
    If what you are talking about is reimbursement of investment advisory fees charged on a brokerage account for a non-IRA account - which upon until 2017 were Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions, that would be the place to reduce the deduction taken if there were any for the current year.
    If you are talking about a 2018 tax return the answer is no since the entire Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction section of Schedule A has been eliminated from the 2017 TCJA.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Have you looked at The Tax Book 3-17 & 4-26
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Blaire View Post
        My question is, can we net the income with the legal fees that the client incurred to receive the settlement?
        You should read Commissioner v Banks 543 U.S. 426 (2005) and IRC §62(a)(20)

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post

You should read Commissioner v Banks 543 U.S. 426 (2005) and IRC §62(a)(20)
          Good reply. That should provide the answer for this post.
          Last edited by TAXNJ; 05-09-2019, 12:52 PM.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
          X