Savings bond interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savings bond interest

TP deceased(2018) holding bonds fully matured 5 years ago. TP did not include them in their returns for any year. Estate got bonds cashed early in 2019. Can I put this interest on the final return of the deceased or do I include them as income for the 1041 to be filed next year? I think I read I could put them on the final return of the deceased

The interest earned up to the DOD can go on the final return. And then the remaining interest on the 1041. I think -- look it up.

Comment

Very basic. It is explained very well in The Tax Book on how to handle. Have you researched it?
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
        TP deceased(2018) holding bonds fully matured 5 years ago. TP did not include them in their returns for any year. Estate got bonds cashed early in 2019. Can I put this interest on the final return of the deceased or do I include them as income for the 1041 to be filed next year? I think I read I could put them on the final return of the deceased
        Read Rev Ruling 68-145

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post

Read Rev Ruling 68-145
          and The Tax Book starting at 21-4

Comment

fully matured 5 years ago.

Doesn't that mean it goes on the 5-year-old tax return?

As a side note, I'm not currently in a position to look up the Rev Ruling 68-15 or Tax Book 21-4, so it is possible that they say otherwise. However, Publication 550 seems to say the only option is to report it on the 5-year-old tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post

Doesn't that mean it goes on the 5-year-old tax return?

As a side note, I'm not currently in a position to look up the Rev Ruling 68-15 or Tax Book 21-4, so it is possible that they say otherwise. However, Publication 550 seems to say the only option is to report it on the 5-year-old tax return.
              Think the issue of reporting savings bonds past maturity was a post a few months ago with various replies

Comment

See the replies to your same prior questions of Savings Bonds in your a 3-7-19 post and also your 12-5-18 post. Haven’t you resolved this issue with the reply posts given then?

Comment

I am sorry. This was put up by accident when we reloaded a new computer. Not sure how it got here. Issue resolved. My thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                  X