NC Direct Debit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NC Direct Debit

Is there a time frame in which to ask for direct debit to bank account in NC? E-filed return accepted by NC on 4/10. Had 4/12 draft date. Didn't happen......

NCDOR works kinda like banks used to. For instance, the last date to schedule a debit for 4/15 was on Friday. Debits "scheduled" now for 4/15 will likely not debit until 4/16 or even 4/17. That is acceptable to NCDOR and creates no problem for the taxpayer.
    Then you have to toss in whatever bank your client uses. In most cases, a farther out debit is paid by the bank on the same date you requested, which is what the IRS routinely does. But some banks will not show the debit until debit date+2 days.
    Did you efile with the NC debit requested, or use the NCDOR online payment site?
    NCDOR is now already backed up. Efiled returns from Friday still have not cleared, whereas they usually clear within an hour of the IRS acceptance. . .which is often ~instantaneous. Things will only get much worse with them in the next 48 hours.
    Another possibility to verify: Does the bank account you used allow debits??

Comment

Not sure about NC but I E-filed a Kentucky return in Jan with direct debit date of 2/10/19. I called Kentucky the first week of March to ask what happened and they told me they were just running behind and not to worry they were about the debit the account. So maybe same with NC, I expected this all happened automatically but apparently has to be processed according to what I was told

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
        Not sure about NC but I E-filed a Kentucky return in Jan with direct debit date of 2/10/19. I called Kentucky the first week of March to ask what happened and they told me they were just running behind and not to worry they were about the debit the account. So maybe same with NC, I expected this all happened automatically but apparently has to be processed according to what I was told
        NCDOR is just clogged up. . .happens every year.
        Efile acknowledgements from NCDOR usually return within an hour. I have several still out there, including a couple of online extensions with payments. I did receive (at 3 am today) an acceptance notice from NCDOR for a tax return that was efiled early Friday morning.

Comment

Well, guess what? It actually processed (although we could not see it as of 4/12) When checked on Sunday, 4/14, it showed as processed on 4/12/19! Tks, FEDuke as that info is good to have. I did not realize they had a deadline, I was just trying not to wait until the last minute. I usually give a week between filing date and debit date, but did not have enough time. Good thing I input 4/12 as draft date on return. This was a large bank, operates in multi-states. I was saving the NC on-line payment site as a last resort. If TP had done that on 4/15, I guess it would have been paid twice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            Well, guess what? It actually processed (although we could not see it as of 4/12) When checked on Sunday, 4/14, it showed as processed on 4/12/19! Tks, FEDuke as that info is good to have. I did not realize they had a deadline, I was just trying not to wait until the last minute. I usually give a week between filing date and debit date, but did not have enough time. Good thing I input 4/12 as draft date on return. This was a large bank, operates in multi-states. I was saving the NC on-line payment site as a last resort. If TP had done that on 4/15, I guess it would have been paid twice!!
            I filed, on April 14th, both an extension payment for NC and a #1 2019 estimated payment for NC.
            Latter was done using the NCDOR website, and when I entered 4/15 it gave an error message and said the earliest available date was 4/16. Former was done via my tax software that showed 4/15.
            FWIW, I had scheduled in early April my IRS/NC balances due and my #1 2019 IRS/NC estimated tax, all four via my tax software. (Actually I scheduled all eight 2019 estimated payments!) I selected 4/15 for all, and my bank (Wells Fargo) showed the four debits occurred on April 15th.
            NCDOR is still behind. I just received (tonight) notification that some NC returns that were efiled, along with feds on Friday morning, had finally been accepted.
            Otherwise I fully agree the way to avoid these nuisances is to do things ahead of time. I efiled a lot of returns some time ago (Feb and Mar), and for the balance due ones debits were scheduled for April 8th. Call it "wiggle room."

Comment

Working...
            X